Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to turn someone down nicely?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK I know I'm probably being a bit pathetic here but I need some help...there's a new guy at work (a temp) and I got talking to him on a work do recently, we found out we had some stuff in common (originally from the same area, both into writing) and we had a nice chat. Since then we've swapped a bit of writing via email...he's a nice guy but quite a bit older than me and I don't feel any sort of attraction to him at all. Unfortunately he knows I'm single and this morning I've come into the office to find an email from him asking me out for a drink...and I don't know what to say :blush: I don't want to go, because I don't fancy him at all, and although he's nice I would find spending time with him just the two of us very awkward...is there a nice way to say thanks but no thanks? I thought I could just say I'm not looking to date anyone at the moment as I only came out of a long relationship recently but a) that sounds really cliched and b) he's not really suggested a "date", just a drink. Help!

Comments

• Options
    Hmm yeah, it's a tricky one. Honesty isn't always the best option in these cases...what you said about not being ready for dating was a good reason. But like you said, he only asked you out for a drink, but then I think it's safe to assume that by drink, he meant date.
    Otherwise, you could perhaps suggest bringing friends along each and doing something non-datey, so he gets the message that friends is all you want to be?
    Sorry, not much help!
  • Options
    You could say, "Oh that's a nice idea. I'm sure you don't mind but I will bring a friend 'cos I need to get him out 'cos he has been having a hard time lately. I'll get back to you when I know he is free".

I bet he won't push it too hard after that. ;)
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Hmm yeah, it's a tricky one. Honesty isn't always the best option in these cases...what you said about not being ready for dating was a good reason. But like you said, he only asked you out for a drink, but then I think it's safe to assume that by drink, he meant date.
    Otherwise, you could perhaps suggest bringing friends along each and doing something non-datey, so he gets the message that friends is all you want to be?
    Sorry, not much help!

Damn! I was writing my reply when you posted yours but it seems like we have the same idea! Woo! :)
  • Options
    But on the other hand, he could just be asking you out as a friend?

Whatever you decide, I think you need to get straight to the point and be honest with him.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

I hate to by cynical about my own sex, but I reckon that's bullshit. We're predators! :p
  • Options

Whatever you decide, I think you need to get straight to the point and be honest with him.

Well, if he says "Sure. Bring your friend!" and then a week or so later enquires again as to when they can all go out together, that would indicate he is happy with the notion of 'just friends'. Then, she can say "Oh he can't make it for a while so we can just meet up".

The thing is if she assumes he wants more than friendship, and she is 'honest' and tells him that she doesn't want a relationship, he may say "WTF???? I was only suggesting a drink", she may end up looking like presumptuous a tit.
  • Options
    Cheers for the replies - I'm still no clearer on what to tell him though! To give you a bit more context, his email says "I thought and thought and thought about it, before I stopped thinking about it, and decided to ask you if I could possibly buy you a drink sometime?" To me, having re-read it a few times, that's making it out to be more than just a friendly getting-to-know-you. The other thing is I told my friend at work about it and she reminded me that on a work do the other night he said he had a partner! So what's he playing at? The thing is, as nice as he is, I wouldn't feel comfortable going for a drink by myself with him even if it was just a friends thing. I'd rather get out of it completely. But I just can't think how to do that without being mean or making something up.

PS We have another work do coming up in a few weeks so perhaps I could just say I'm really busy up until then (which I am) so maybe we can just have a drink then? Or something...??
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies - I'm still no clearer on what to tell him though! To give you a bit more context, his email says "I thought and thought and thought about it, before I stopped thinking about it, and decided to ask you if I could possibly buy you a drink sometime?" To me, having re-read it a few times, that's making it out to be more than just a friendly getting-to-know-you.

Yeah, I agree. It does sound like he wants to be more than friends.

I think if he was just a friend, he might just say something like "Would you like to go for a drink one time?"
  • Options

PS We have another work do coming up in a few weeks so perhaps I could just say I'm really busy up until then (which I am) so maybe we can just have a drink then? Or something...??

Sounds good to me! Gets the message accross in a polite, non-hurtful way.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree. It does sound like he wants to be more than friends.

I think if he was just a friend, he might just say something like "Would you like to go for a drink one time?"

:yes:

Sounds perfect! :thumb:
  • Options
    OK - thanks! I will do it now. Really appreciate your help, it's been a long time since I've had to deal with stuff like this :blush:
  • Options
    yesss do that! it wont be so awkward if you're surrounded by the rest of your workmates. i do feel for you, its so awkward when something like that happens, i would be tempted to pretend i hadnt got the email :angel: haha i know thats not the way to deal with things but i just wouldnt know what to say!

although, once a guy at work asked me out in a text message and i was toootally uninterested but i didnt know how to let him down gently so i just ignored the text and thought i'd have a word with him at work, but the next day at dinner time he shouted (over the canteen!) 'did you get my text about going for a drink?' in front of loads of other workmates, i was so embarassed :| ha.x
  • Options
    yesss do that! it wont be so awkward if you're surrounded by the rest of your workmates. i do feel for you, its so awkward when something like that happens, i would be tempted to pretend i hadnt got the email :angel: haha i know thats not the way to deal with things but i just wouldnt know what to say!

although, once a guy at work asked me out in a text message and i was toootally uninterested but i didnt know how to let him down gently so i just ignored the text and thought i'd have a word with him at work, but the next day at dinner time he shouted (over the canteen!) 'did you get my text about going for a drink?' in front of loads of other workmates, i was so embarassed :| ha.x

Haha I did consider the "deny all knowledge" option but know that usually leads to even more grief so thought it'd be best to deal with it straight away. Knowing my luck I would have ended up in a similar situation as you (that did make me laugh though sorry :D ) x

I've sent the email, so we'll see how things go. I just put "Ah thank you - I'm silly-busy at the moment outside of work sorry, but there's another work do coming up at the end of February, so if you're going to that I'll call that drink in then! Cheers"
  • Options
    "Ah thank you - I'm silly-busy at the moment outside of work sorry, but there's another work do coming up at the end of February, so if you're going to that I'll call that drink in then! Cheers"

Aw! Nicely put. You can dump me any time! :) *hugs*
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Aw! Nicely put. You can dump me any time! :) *hugs*

Haha thanks! x
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What the heck is wrong with "You know, I really am flattered, but I'm just not interested in you in that way, can we just be friends?" ?
  • Options
    What the heck is wrong with "You know, I really am flattered, but I'm just not interested in you in that way, can we just be friends?" ?

It is possible to be ask someone out for a drink without wanting anything more than friendship. She, however, PRESUMES he fancies her (probably correctly) but he hasn't exactly put this in so many words. So, in theory, she could look stupid mentioning 'flattery' etc when he hasn't actually indicated that its a real 'date' - and she still has to work with him so needs to avoid any discomfort around him. She has kindly allowed him to 'save face'. Well, that's my take on it anyway. :)

Personally, I think her reply was excellent.
  • Options
    Agree with Teagan.

Her response avoids both of them unnecessary embarrassment. There's a small chance he wasn't hitting on her, but wants to be mates. If she goes with your line, she looks a tit. However, he more than likely was hitting on her, so if she goes with your line, he looks a tit.

Surely it's better for everyone that we sometimes engage in these social niceties, even though everyone knows what's actually going on, than insist on being completely honest when it's more awkward and embarrassing all round.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I see the point of it not being 100% certain what he meant.
    However, if he had been, I'd still advocate honesty. It avoids misunderstandings, and there's no reason to be insulted by something that's not under her control.
  • Options
    I sent the same text to two different girls tonight, arranging two different meals. Neither were a date or any intention of, one girl has a bf, the other doesnt, the one that doesnt is such a lovely girl and would be a catch for anyone. The fact of the matter is im getting older and shes a good friend to me.

Thats two girls, neither of which have an intention of dating me, and i dont want to date them. See it is possible to have guys and girls being friends.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's not, at all. I've got plenty of bloke mates I wouldn't think twice about catching up with over a drink, just the two of us. It's just that in this case it's different - I'd only spoken to the guy once properly before he asked me for this drink and from the tone of his email it was fairly obvious it wasn't just a "get to know you better" friendly meet he was suggesting. It may be that as I get to know him through work and our work nights out etc I will feel more comfortable with the idea of seeing him on his own, as friends, but at the moment that's not the case - so I think saying no this time was the right thing to do :)
  • Options
    I have been in the guys shoes several times in situations like this and whilst your reply was probably the best way of dealing with the situation at the current time, it's sucess will ultimately be determined by how he interprets it.

He could have got the message. If so, great, he might feel a bit rubbish about it right now but should get over it resonably quickly if he barely knows you.

He could be thinking "well she's just really busy right now, once she isn't I'll ask her again".

If this happens just be straight with him and don't string him along, that's about the only thing worse than being rejected....
  • Options
    Has he said anything back yet StupidGirl?
  • Options
    Yep - this is what he said...

"Hey...

Ok. Sorry I couldn't tempt you with a tipple a little sooner but hey ho. It's good to be busy!

Yep, I'll be there at end of feb and will remember my promise to you. If not, then I'm sure I can count on you to remind me...

Take care..."

What do you guys think? To me that sounds like he's realised I don't want to meet up with him just the two of us - I hope so anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah. I think he understands it. Don't reply to that particular message now but just leave it at that. :)
  • Options
    Yeah I agree, I think he gets the picture.