Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Pill.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you forget to take it one day, can you get pregnant if you have sex on that day?

Comments

• Options
    There's always a possibility, but it's unlikely that you'd ovulate after missing one pill, if you'd taken all the rest correctly. That said, who wants to be the exception who proves the rule? So I'd always recommend using a condom for 7 days just in case.
  • Options
    What type of things can make The Pill ineffective then? Taking it at different times every day?
  • Options
    Possibly, if the times are wildly different. Also if you throw up or get bad diarrhoea or if you take some antibiotics or other medication (your doctor should tell you at the time that there may be an interaction).

There will always be a few people who get pregnant on the pill, cause it's not 100%, but generally it's a very effective method of contraception. I took mine pretty carelessly at times and still never got pregnant in the whole 12 years, so I would imagine if you took it religiously your chance of pregnancy would be pretty slim indeed.
  • Options
    Okay, thank you :)
  • Options
    It depends on the type of pill I think, read the information leaflet enclosed with them as that should help. I've attached some useful info for Microgynon 30.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It depends on the type of pill I think.

Oooh, yes, must add that my information is for the COMBINED pill (e.g. Microgynon, Cilest, etc). If you are on the mini-pill, the info may be different.

It's never a bad idea too read through the leaflet, in any case!
  • Options
    "If you have missed any of the pills in a strip, and you do not bleed in the first pill-free break, you may be pregnant. Contact your doctor or family planning clinic, or do a pregnancy test yourself."

^^ This bit scares me!
  • Options
    Yea, I mentioned it because I've heard the tolerance for the mini pill isn't as good i.e. you miss you you lose protection, whereas microgynon you have your 12 hours to take it in to keep your hormones topped up. Or something.

Probably best to read the leaflet rather than ask me ;)
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »
    "If you have missed any of the pills in a strip, and you do not bleed in the first pill-free break, you may be pregnant. Contact your doctor or family planning clinic, or do a pregnancy test yourself."

^^ This bit scares me!

I know it sounds scary, but really its just about being cool, calm and taking care at this point. Have you missed your period? It may be worth taking a pregnancy test just to see where you stand.

It's fairly unlikely you will be pregnant but it's one of these things you need to get checked and it is far better to know sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    I think taking a pregnancy test may be the best bet!
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »
    I think taking a pregnancy test may be the best bet!

Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh & thank you :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea, I mentioned it because I've heard the tolerance for the mini pill isn't as good i.e. you miss you you lose protection, whereas microgynon you have your 12 hours to take it in to keep your hormones topped up. Or something.

Probably best to read the leaflet rather than ask me ;)

wow you sound pretty clued up! I am surprised! ha ha :thumb:
  • Options
    Im sorry, Im a lil confused, your last thread said your worried bout being pregnant because you've NOT used the pill but this one implies you might be because you missed one?

sorry just a lil confused..
  • Options
    I haven't actually used any Pill but I wanted to know for instance.. like if I had. Sounds stupid, but I'm thinking of going on The Pill anyway so I will use this advice for when I do..

And I will be sure to tell everyone when I know if I am pregnant or not.
  • Options
    [Cool, well the advice given has been top notch, best of luck
  • Options
    Thank you. I will need it!