Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My mum giving up!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have overheard (when sleeping) she talking on the phone about how she is going to give up her job. She left her email account open again and inside said how she is on the process of handing over her notice.

She is into the 'healing' business and wants to set that up and do that - but how can u afford to live on it (she has about 2 customers a month) and out goings are £2000+. She has a mortgage to pay too. She says 'spirits' and other people say (their spirits) say she should do it.

She is going to imo ruin us, how will she like it when people come knocking at the door demanding £500 etc?

Comments

• Options
    Do you live with your mother? Is she financially responsible for you? It might be worth expressing your opinions on your financial future if you are going to be directly involved.

However, if I recall previous posts, you seem to be a bit too into her life. Just because she is a mother does not mean that she has no other dreams, goals or ideas besides her children. Perhaps it may be a risky venture but if it something she desires, why rain on her parade, as long as she is not completly reckless.

If she is attempting to do something she enjoys, I would hardly clasify that as giving up, I'd say it is the complete opposite. She has the gonads to go out and do something she finds pleasurable and believes in, not sticking around in some shit hole job just to for the paycheck.
  • Options
    I agree, maybe you should have more faith in your mother's abilities. There may be other reasons why you're worried, but it sounds like you're old enough to live your life and let your mother live hers. One of my best friends has a similar business and gets £50 an hour. Healing is one of those businesses where word of mouth is extremely important so 2 clients will turn into about 20 very quickly. I don't know your mother so maybe you are right and she did this on a whim, but it's her decision and the consequences will also be hers, not yours.
  • Options
    You are 21, you have no say over what your mother does! You will have to support yourself more if she earns less and can't afford to or doesn't want to, she doesn't have to you know?
  • Options
    First of all, and I say this not just from this thread but from having had a quick skim through some of your previous threads - I think you really need to start respecting your mother's privacy. How dare you keep reading her emails, msn conversations, etc? Would you like it if she did the same to you? The whole 'she left her email open' thing just won't cut it. When people do that, you close the window without reading, or log them out. You don't take it as a legitimate excuse to violate their privacy.

Second, you're 21, which means you're well old enough to be supporting yourself financially. Why are you still living at home dependent on your mum anyway? Do you have a job? You are now at an age where, unless you are for some reason physically or mentally unable to do so, you should be supporting yourself financially and therefore it's none of your business if your mother wants to make stupid decisions about her career.
  • Options
    Agree with the above. Also, I imagine she would have thought through whatever she is going to do, along with how much money she neeeds and how much she will be earning. Right now she may only have 2 customers a month but surely that's because it's not her main job? Once she quits her current job and concentrates on this full time, she'll get more. I don't think she'll 'ruin' you. If it doesnt work out, she'll probably get a different job.

If this is something she wants to try, then you should support her.