Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Staying out of a controlling relationship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya everyone, I've just got out of a very, very controlling relationship. In short, my (now ex-) partner had a huge bust up with my dad last year, and has since decided that my dad hated him and was plotting to break us up. So his solution was to insist that I disown my dad, or he'd go back to his wife (they have been separated for the duration of our relationship, but still live together with their young children. I must point out now that she is a very lovely woman and has been incredibly patient to put up with the situation).

At first I was willing to go along with it, I hadn't seen any of my family properly (bar my parents, and even those visits were scant) for almost a year at the time, so it was easy to convince myself that they wouldn't care or miss me if I cut them out. But my grandma (my dad's mother) sadly passed away at the start of the year, and after attending the funeral I realised that my family still loved me dearly, they weren't angry at all over the fact that I hadn't seen them and they gave me an immensely warm welcome. It was then I realised that I couldn't drop these wonderful, loving, caring people, and I certainly couldn't tell my dad never to contact me again. What if the next funeral was my dad's, or my mother's, and I'd upped and abandoned them over nothing more than a conspiracy theory? I didn't even believe that my dad was trying to split me and my partner up at all, and I didn't even believe that he hated my partner, despite knowing that the reason why I had been so absent over the year was because of this relationship, and despite knowing that, after a year, my partner still hadn't made any plans to move out of his house and begin the divorce proceedings with his wife. I knew that I had to ask my dad outright, and find out the truth once and for all.

My partner didn't like this. He wanted me to write a letter to my dad telling him never to contact me again, he even got his hair off a few days after I went to my grandma's funeral (my sister was there too, and she's another one on my partner's hate list. I haven't spoken to her for a year after a row, and I was forbidden to if I wanted my relationship to survive). He accused me of choosing my dad over him, even though the funeral was the first time I'd seen my dad in about two or three months and I saw my partner virtually every night of the week. :banghead: He said that if I spoke to my dad, it meant I approved of the things my dad said to him during their bust up (he did say some very horrible things, and I made it very clear how much his behaviour had disgusted me - but he had the guts to go up to my partner afterwards and apologise). He threatened to go back to his wife if I had any semblance of a relationship with my dad (then later he said that he'd ruined his marriage beyond repair for me and going back wasn't an option - effectively saying that he was stuck with me so I'd better do as he says). He said that I could still speak to my mum and all my other relations, just not my dad and sister (how in the name of God would that have been a comfortable arrangement?). I told him over the phone that if he wanted nothing to do with my dad, that was his choice and I wouldn't try to force him either way, but that he should be abe to accept that I have to have at least a distant relationship with my dad. I told him that my family comes as one pack, not several separate little bits to be sifted out and picked apart, and that I was not doing anything rash without at least finding out my dad's true opinion and finding out if he was plotting to split us up. My partner's response? 'F*** you then, we're finished'. I took him at his word, and switched my phone off. It hasn't been turned on now for 48 hours. It's the longest I've ever gone without speaking to him in eighteen months. I'd had enough, I'd snapped, and I didn't want to put up with another second of manipulation, threats or verbal abuse.

I was already at my parents house at the time of that phone call (I live alone in another town), waiting for my dad to come home from work so that I could talk to him. But now, when he came home, I simply told him that it was over. He confirmed everything that I believed - that he didn't hate my partner, despite me and my sister falling out because of the relationship (my dad's worst nightmare coming true), he had no intentions to interfere or sabotage the relationship, he wasn't happy about it but he acknowledged that I was an adult and capable of making my own decisions. All the conspiracy theories, the explosive arguments over how hateful and horrible my dad was for trying to ruin us, suddenly melted into the air. My partner's paranoia had killed us.

I decided that the safest option was to stay with my parents for the time being, as I didn't know what my partner would do, he can be unpredictable and has caused himself physical harm and damaged my property at the height of his tempers, so I didn't want him turning up when I was alone at my house. 24 hours after I switched my phone off, my partner's wife turned up at my parent's house. My dad answered the door and politely told her that I was with them and I was safe, but I didn't wish to speak with her at this time. She accepted this and went away. She must have gone to my house first, and found it empty, before looking up my parent's address and turning up to find me. Why?

The next morning, I heard the doorbell ring, and whoever was at the door didn't go away for a while. I went into my mum's bedroom and waited until I was certain that whoever was there had gone. There was a letter waiting on the doormat, addressed to me. It was from my partner, begging me to contact him, that the past 24 hours had been the worst in his life, that he had nothing without me (he has two daughters...), that I had his blessing to have a relationship with my dad, anything, as long as I came back to him. He said he was dying without me, his sunshine. But he also wrote that he was worrying that my dad was keeping me prisoner, he believed that my dad had confiscated my mobile phone, he begged me to 'break free'. My phone was, and still is, lying on the table in the living room, about 5 metres away from where I am sitting. I also realised, from what he had written, that his wife had hand delivered this letter. Why she hung around knocking for so long afterwards baffles me. What does she want to say to me? My partner told me, on several occasions, that his wife admitted she still loved him (he liked to save this one for arguments, because he knew it would hurt me). It's disturbing to think that she's trying to talk to her husband's ex-girlfriend, possibly with the intention of getting us back together. It makes me wonder why.

Basically, I need advice on how to stay strong. This letter really did tug at my heartstrings, and I do feel bad if he is genuinely suffering, and I believe that he is. But I can't go back into such an unhealthy relationship. There were so many other things pointing towards a controlling relationship, but telling me to cut out my dad was the pinnacle of them all. I was becoming unhappier every day, I had no choices of my own and no life of my own, I ended up losing all of my friends bar two, I almost lost my entire family, and he treated my feelings with total indifference (for example, not bothering to tell me that he was too tired for me to pick him up some nights, so that I'd just be sitting around, waiting for him to contact me and worrying. Or telling me that I was a nympho and a slag, insinuating that I would probably be off bedding every bloke in sight if his back was turned, then making fun of me when I got upset and not listening when I told him that I didn't find such comments funny at all). I need to know that staying away is the right thing to do. I'm 99% sure that it is, but I just need the support to stand my ground.

I'm sorry this was so long, it's a very long and painful story. Well done to everyone who manages to plough their way through it! All advice and support is very, very much appreciated. I need to know that I'm doing the right thing.

Comments

• Options
    This guy clearly has problems. The whole issue of him still living with his wife is weird. You are well out of there. Don't listen to the bleeding heart stories. A leopard doesn't change its spots.

And, if he has hurt himself in the past and damaged property, take care. Be safe. Good luck.
  • Options
    Hey there. First things first, only you can say what is the right thing for you, but from what I read your doing this for all the right reasons. The guy clearly has problems as overthehill said. I'd just ignore anything he does to try and contact you until you're ready and feel strong in yourself. If you dont want to get back with him, then dont. Stand your ground.
    And remember, people on here will always be here for you :)
    Stay strong and keep yourself safe. Your family will help there
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi Gerbera.

First of all I want to congratulate you on ending your relationship. What you have been through is domestic violence, and having worked with many women who have experienced similar relationships, I have the utmost respect for you doing what you have done. Breaking away from a man like that is incredibly difficult, especially when their behaviour has put a strain on your relationships with friends and family. Many women can't find the strength to end things and leave, so I hope you recognise how brave you've been.

In terms of staying away, I'd like to recommend the Freedom Programme to you. It sounds a bit AA to a lot of people, especially when they haven't specifically named their experience as domestic violence, but it's a 12 week rolling programme looking at different aspects of domestic abuse and different characteristics of abusers. All women who attend have been through domestic violence themselves, and they're run by some truly fantastic and inspirational women. It gives you the chance to talk to other women who have been through the same things as you (some will still be in their relationships, others will have been free for a while) and to really recognise and come to terms with your relationship and the fact that it's over. It also familiarises you with the behaviours of abusive partners to the point where you can recognise the warning signs when you start dating someone and choose whether you want to continue with them or not. Here's the website:

http://www.freedomprogramme.co.uk/
    You can also find out more here: http://www.onespace.org.uk/abuse-violence/freedom-programme

Take a look and see what you think.

Either way, you have absolutely made the right choice in leaving your partner and you should absolutely stay away from him. The sob story is a classic technique of abusive men when they have been left; in the Freedom Programme they call it 'The Persuader'.

You are worth far more than the treatment you have received from this man; it's time to treat yourself with the respect you deserve and stay the hell away. If you would like some support, feel free to PM me; as I said I've worked with many survivors of domestic violence and can very much relate to what you're experiencing.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    It sounds like you are intelligent, strong and rational and have supportive people around you, so you have definately done the right thing. I completey agree with butterflykisses about getting more support. What I wanted to say is that you really shouldn't feel bad when he says he misses you. My mother was a victim of domestic violence and when I was with my dad he would be telling her he couldn't live without her one minute and laughing with his friends in the pub the next. What my dad was unhappy about when my mother left was that she wasn't there for him, rather than the fact that she wasn't there. It was the attention and sense of power he got from her that he really valued. What I used to tell my mother is that there is no point in having empathy for people who have none for you. I think the fact that you would think of his daughter's after recieving a letter like that, rather than just yourself which would be understandable, shows how considerate you are and I don't think you should waste that on people who don't deserve it.
    People on here usually give brilliant advice so you should have support for as long as you need it. You deserve better and you've been really strong so far.
  • Options
    Thank you so much, everyone, for your support! I'll definitely look into the Freedom Programme, Butterflykisses, it looks really interesting and I think I'll gain a lot of wisdom from it. I've got a lot of lost time to make up for with my family, that's for sure, and I've got a lot of me-time to catch up on too.

I popped up to my house to get some clothes and toiletries a couple of hours ago, and found another letter from my partner there. He's said that I can have it all - him and my family, he'll call a 'truce' with my dad, he said he wants to marry me and have babies with me, go on our first holiday together, he said he still worships the ground I walk on, and he just wants me back. These are all the things that he should have said to me before, it shouldn't have had to come to me cutting him off for him to offer a compromise or to decide to treat me fairly. If I hadn't chosen to cease contact, would he have said any of this? Probably not.

He shouldn't be telling me that I have his blessing to spend time with my family, he should have expected me to want to spend time with them and he should have respected that from the start, regardless of his personal opinions of any of them. I would never have cut him off from his family, even if they called me all the names under the sun and made no secret of hating me. That would have been my issue, not an issue to affect our relationship.

It's painful to think about him being upset and suffering, but I know that if I took him back the problems and rows would all start again in time, and he'd never forget this, the time that I cruelly and horribly abandoned him, after all he'd done for me. But he wouldn't remember it as a warning, he'd remember it to use against me, to justify his wrongdoings.

I've just checked my email, and I've got an email from him too. Similar in content to the letters, telling me he loves me, he hasn't stopped crying since Monday, he's tried to phone my work to get in touch with me, he even phoned my mum's work to try and talk to her, but she said she was busy and hung up. He's said - again - that he wants a fresh start, to let bygones be bygones, to extend the hand of friendship to my dad. This shouldn't have had to happen for him to do that. He would never have done this off his own back, ever.

I feel horrible for making him so upset, but I cannot, cannot, cannot go back and risk all the awful things happening again.

Edit: I replied to his email. I told him why I have made this choice, I've told him that my phone will be staying switched off and that I want to be by myself. I also told him that he should focus on getting himself sorted out, getting better, and spending time and bonding with his girls. I hope he listens.