Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"More like a brother/sister relationship"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there anyone out there who's been through/going through this scenario?? Any advice/guidance etc would be more than gratefully appreciated.
Bit of background for starters is that I met my partner via the internet nearly 2 years ago. We immediately clicked when we met face to face and about 3 months later he moved in with myself and my daughter. For the first 6-8 months, everything was fantastic then, sadly my dad passed away. My parents live at the other end of the country so for about 2 months of our relationship I was down with my mum. Life, when I came back, seemed to pick up as my partner found a job and we seemed to be getting on fine again. Then again tragically my partner's nan passed away in July, he was extremely close to her (his grandparents practically brought him up), he was totally devastated. The pair of us suffer from depression, my partner's being far more ingrained than mine. At the end of July my partner, who keeps everything bottled up, seemed extremely down, when I asked several times what the problem was he broke down and said that he felt really alone and that, in a nutshell, I wasnt paying him enough attention but that he still wanted to try and work things out. I was spending far too much time on the computer when I should have been spending my time with him. I agreed that I would only go on the computer at certain times but he also agreed that if he preferred me not to go on, he would speak up and tell me. Life continued on, Christmas and New Year came and went and then just 3 weeks ago, after sinking into another depression mood, he told me that he was leaving. When I pushed him to give me a reason, he first of all said that it was because he thought I was taking him for granted (which, in all honesty, I probably was - asking him to do little errands for me when I was perfectly capable of doing them myself), he said that he just felt that he wanted to be by himself. A week and a half after he moved out, I found out that he was seeing someone else but that they'd only been together for 3 or 4 days; a fact which I know is true, but that they'd been talking to one another for a couple of weeks before he left. The girl involved has some extremely bad issues going on in her personal life and my ex doesnt need that - the issues have also now involved me which I am extremely upset and frightened by. Myself and my ex-partner's best friend have voiced our concerns and he has, so far, listened to our advice and has had no contact with the other girl for probably a week now. When pushed, my ex-partner has told me that he doesnt love me like a girlfriend anymore, he feels our relationship has become more like brother and sister (in hindsight, thats probably why our sex life didnt happen very often). I am still, just over 3 weeks on, totally devastated by the whole thing. I love him completely and, even now, would have him back in a heartbeat. He texts or rings me most days and we've been out to the movies, for a drink and I've been round to his flat so we're still really good friends. His best friend told him that he thinks he's probably made the biggest mistake of his life by leaving me and my ex agreed but if his feelings arent there, what can I do? Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation? I'm trying the "put make-up on, do my hair nicely, act happy" routine but I'm not sure how long I can keep it going. I just want to ask him outright to come home x

Comments

• Options
    From what you say, it doesn't sound as if the fault for the split was yours. I can't believe that he would have thought you were taking him for granted just for asking him to do some errands. My OH is usually only too glad to run the odd errand for me, even if it is somethiing I could perfectly well do myself - but everyone is different. You did, after all, cut back on your use of the computer for him. He sounds terribly needy and I'm not sure that your relationship could have been that healthy - even before he came out with the brother/sister thing. And then suddenly leaving you for someone he has only met 3 or 4 times ...

If he feels the spark has gone from your relationship it could be almost impossible to rekindle. I know you miss him terribly at the moment, but I would advise you to try and take a step back. May be cool the 'platonic' contact for a while. I reckon one of two things will happen. Either you will begin to see that his leaving was for the best in the long run, or he will realise what a mistake he has made and come home.
  • Options
    Overthehill - thank you so much for your advice, am more than willing to try anything... x
  • Options
    Hi there Sueky23,

Clearly this is a very heartbreaking situation for you. There always seems to be hope that you will get back together with an ex-partner, however sometimes accepting it's over can ease the moving on. Please also have a look at our article mending a broken heart which can also help.

Good luck :)