Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buying something for my mate's newborn daughter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mate has just had a little girl, born a few days ago.. I want to sort out a gift/present but I'm clueless on what to get.

Don't really want to go down the clothes route as they tend to grow out of them in a few days. I was thinking of getting something to help the parents.. Baby breathing monitors were my first thought but they've already got them.

I did ask them what they'd prefer and they were adament that they didn't want anything, but I can't do that. Any suggestions on what would be a handy or decent gift would be well appreciated :) Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    i would get something for the mum. Depending on your budget, but something as a treat. A lush giftset or something and maybe a little outfit for the baby in the next size up
  • Options
    Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking. I went to visit them in hospital (she had to stay there for a week as it was a bit of a nightmare birth) and the amount of presents (mostly clothes) they had for the baby already was unreal.. But nothing for the mum or dad!

The budget isn't an issue really, he's one of my best mates and his Mrs is really sound. Any recommended lush gift sets? Sorry, I'm a complete fool when it comes to this stuff.. Cheers Suzy :)
  • Options
    id suggest going in and asking one of the assistants what they think. I think most of them are lovely. Maybe a bottle of booze for your mate too.
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan. I'll chuck in a next-size up outfit for the baby and a couple of bibs too.. can't go wrong then can I haha. Thanks for that!
  • Options
    If it's their first baby then just now will be chaos. You could give your gift in a week or two's time. Lush and beer might be more easily appreciated then.

Other than that, it may seem a cop out but Boots vouchers wouldn't go amiss. They may say they have everything but there will always be something else.

Remember if you are buying next-size-up to buy season appropriate stuff.
  • Options
    thats not a bad idea
  • Options
    Something I heard about someone doing which I thought was a nice idea is that they paid for the parents to have a nice meal out when the baby was a few months old, so they could squeeze in a bit of alone time.

Obv depends if they're ok with leaving the baby and finding babysitters and what have you, I just thought it was really thoughtful, cause they were so immersed in baby things they struggled to find the time and money to just be a couple again for a few hours.
  • Options
    nice idea, but if baby happens to be a clingy baby or a constant feeder,as a lot of babies are, it might be more than a few months before thyre able to get out for any length of time realistically
  • Options
    nice idea, but if baby happens to be a clingy baby or a constant feeder,as a lot of babies are, it might be more than a few months before thyre able to get out for any length of time realistically

Aye, wouldn't work for everyone, but I know my friends were really chuffed.
  • Options
    Something for the parents would be lovely.
  • Options
    Mist - Good call on the season appropriate clothing.. Didn't think of that. You're right though, things are a bit hectic with them seeing as it's their first child and everything. I definitely won't be seeing them for a couple of weeks at least so I still have time to sort something out..

Have to agree with you guys though, the parents definitely get over-looked when it comes to babies. Especially when they're the ones that have to go through the stress and planning of it all.

Olive - The idea of a meal is actually a really good one, but the crap thing is if I asked them about it I know they'd try to persuade me out of doing it! Plus, it's not the sort of thing I could spring on them as a surprise as (like you said) they'd need to sort out babysitters and stuff beforehand :( That would have been perfect aswell.

This is actually the first time I've ever had to buy something where a baby is involved so thanks for the advice peeps, this thread was really helpful :)
  • Options
    My mate and his Missus had a little girl last year - having never bought baby stuff, i was clueless, but this website: http://www.bundlesofjoy-shopping.co.uk/ was ace - some really good stuff there and next day delivery.

The owner even rang me up to give advice before sending me the package.
  • Options
    Well I've just had my first child and was overwhelmed with the amount of gifts we recieved, she has more clothes than Paris Hilton lol. My work bought me lots of clothes ranging from early baby to 6-9 months which we thought was a very good idea.

Another idea similar to the meal thing you liked the sound of - we got bought a gift voucher for the big cinema close to us.... this gives the same chance to go out as a couple to watch a movie but its not something that needs booking and can be used whenever they can get a babysitter and whenever the times right (baby wise) to leave the baby with someone.
  • Options
    I bought my friend a few pre-school DVDs for her newborn. Not to use now but for when she ages on 2 years. One of my pre-school DVDs was Mr Men IIRC.
  • Options
    Go round and cook them a meal in a few weeks time (ideally cooked at home and just reheated when you get there) then hold the baby for a while whilst they do some boring things like have a shower. then do their washing for them