Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

lived in dilema

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i know it is cheeky of me posting a advice/opinion post only a few hours of joining- but i don't have much time left. my BF (who i live with at Plymouth uni) is coming back from our hometown (we stayed over Xmas) to have a "talk" this Sunday.

sounds great no? 4 weeks of barely seeing each other, and he wants to talk.

however we've been having some issues, mainly;
- he is no longer happy in Plymouth, in his course, has no friends here. hence why he stayed longer.
- have major communication problems between each other.
- i think even though we say we love each other; it's sometimes hard to believe.

the reason for this post then is what can we/i do if we do decide to end it?(i know I'm fearing the worst here) because its not as easy as that.

we're tied to a fixed term tenancy agreement on our ROOM (share a room in a 6bed student house) until the 1st of Aug. the rent a month is huge for one person to deal with alone, and there is no "break clause" in the TA that would allow for us to move out early. i wouldn't know what to do!!

ty for reading- comments or tips about the house/ or relationship most welcome. xx sam

Comments

• Options
    Hi sam, welcome to the site :wave: It's not cheeky at all to post as soon as you join, that's what we're here for. I just noticed the date of your post, how did the talk go on Sunday?

It sounds like you were worried about what might happen with your relationship especially seeing as you share a room together too. Hopefully you managed to work things out. If not and, like you say, there's no obvious way out of your tenancy then you may find that if you could find another couple (or someone that could afford the rent on their own) to take over your tenancy then your letting agent might be able to help you negotiate this with your landlord, considering the circumstances.

Landlords aren't always the most flexible people unfortunately but living with someone after a break up wouldn't be an ideal situation for you, is there anyone else in the house that might be able to swap rooms or share with you for the time being?

You mentioned you've been having some communication problems too, you might find this article from TheSite useful to read to help you both open up and talk things through.

Hope you're ok anyway, let us know how things went at the weekend and keep posting :)
  • Options
    many thanks for responding jo.

it didn't go well on sunday. he came back, we talked over things. he said he was possibly depressed and needed to clear his head. was unsure about us so we split up.

he gathered some things and gave me enough money to cover half next months rent. hes back in portsmouth now.

i went to talk to the agency today, gave in his keys. they said they'll try and see if it can be reduced to a single rate, since i need to continue studying. i'm also havin to apply to my uni access fund just in case. They said they might have to go to the garentors if i can no longer pay; i requested they try not to use my grandad (whos is my garentor). It seems unfair and he'll not be best pleased!

i haven't heard back from them though yet. been out of the house mostly~ munched through atleast 2 ben and jerry's ice creams! just trying to get on with my dissertation and cwk.