Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

changing accent and tone of voice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i change my accent according to whom i am talking to. for example, i put on a more spanish accent when talking to spanish people, for them to understand better. also, i change the tone of my voice, such as a higher softer unthreatening voice when talking to a superior (in the most general sense) and, likewise, a deeper stronger voice when talking to subordinate (in the most general sense.) is that usual?

Comments

• Options
    justjames wrote: »
    is that usual?

Yes.
  • Options
    thank goodness
  • Options
    Erm, speaking in a Spanish accent when talking to someone Spanish? I've never heard of anyone doing that.

I do have a "phone voice", and I also have a "angry, make kids cry voice". But I certainly don't put an accent on lol.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Erm, speaking in a Spanish accent when talking to someone Spanish? I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Hhhhhelllo, hi wheel tell joo someting, theese beers harr too hwarm Manuel.

And so on. Think Rafa Benitez.
  • Options
    I do it a little bit, but Rich does it really badly. It's really funny - he gets a little bit Aussie when he talks to his Aussie friends, he gets a little Plymouth twang when he talks to his friends from there, and a little Birmingham one when he talks to his Brummie friends. We went to Portsmouth one time and he started talking to the cab driver with a fairly strong accent. Oh god it was funny as hell.
  • Options
    My dad speaks posher on the phone. We usually take the mick out of him when he says "royt" instead of "right" hehe.
  • Options
    I change my voice/accent when around certain people without them knowing, particularly if they havea different accent to mine. I went up to Preston to see an ex boyfriend and his mates and within 2 hours I had a northern accent!
  • Options
    I have a phone voice but then I think most people have.

I lived in Yorkshire until I was 5 but there are certain words I say now (I'm almost 25) which come out in a broad yorkshire accent. It's weird cos I can be talking normally then all of a sudden a word comes out in a completely different accent, certain words I have to pause before I say them so I pronounce them normally! I still get asked where I'm from as my accent must stand out in Plymouth, even after all these years.
  • Options
    I know what you mean about putting on a spanish accent..!!

If I'm talking to any of my spanish friends (in spanish) and i don't know the word, i always just say the english one in a spanish accent, in the hopes that they will understand better.

Also, I've roomed with two chinese girls for 5 years, and i started saying things like them, like 'close the lights' and other stuff like that.

and whenever i see my new zealand family i get my accent, but normally i talk quite posh english xD
  • Options
    I try not to take on accents when talking with the person in question, as it seems as if it might come across as just a bit offensive. :lol:
    I do talk differently around everyone, though. So does everyone I know. Mostly the "friends/family you like", "family you don't like," "strangers," "children" and "keep the crazy person calm" voices. The last one and the second one are often the same.
  • Options
    My nana used to speak in a thick durham accent to her family and a normal slow lancashire accent to us, she would even do it mid conversation!

"Well I dinna abot midneet angen... Yes flower I would love a cup of tea... and a dinnow abot tis" - it was amazing to behold!

I have non accented english for use abroad and thickly accented at home!
  • Options
    I live in the Midwestern US; apparently we have no accent aside from American. :p
  • Options
    My nana used to speak in a thick durham accent to her family and a normal slow lancashire accent to us, she would even do it mid conversation!

"Well I dinna abot midneet angen... Yes flower I would love a cup of tea... and a dinnow abot tis" - it was amazing to behold!

I have non accented english for use abroad and thickly accented at home!

Nothing wrong with a good durham accent ;)
  • Options
    Couple of years ago I lived with a bunch of blokes with the most diverse accents i have come across in one place:

Me (broad yorkshire), an Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh, 2 Brummies, 1 essex lad, 1 south african, 1 kenyan and a scouser...all in one flat. Some conversations were interesting to say the least.

On another note has anyone ever felt any embaressent over their accent?
  • Options
    student89 wrote: »

On another note has anyone ever felt any embaressent over their accent?

Yes!! When I was a kid, I went to the local country primary school, where almost all of the kids had actual Devon accents, and stuff, but if I ever spoke like that at home, my mother would tell me off so bad, so I learnt to speak like the others at school, then all posh at home, but sometimes I'd accidently let the posh english voice out at school, and everybody would laugh at me. Or hit me.:impissed:
  • Options
    SteelWool wrote: »
    I live in the Midwestern US; apparently we have no accent aside from American. :p

They still differ. I grew up in Minnesota, now live outside Chicago and get made fun of for my pronunciation of words, especially bag, tag, lag, anything that rhymes with that... and as if Chicagoians have any place to make fun of accents! Some of my family live in Wisconsin and I notice an accent with them as well.

As for changing, can't say I do, though I do have the phone voice, which is very similar to the "oh hi, nice to see you!"... oh I really don't want to see or speak with you. About an octive higher and much more peppy than my low and depresed sounding voice.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    They still differ. I grew up in Minnesota, now live outside Chicago and get made fun of for my pronunciation of words, especially bag, tag, lag, anything that rhymes with that... and as if Chicagoians have any place to make fun of accents! Some of my family live in Wisconsin and I notice an accent with them as well.

O ja, they do talk funny up North, don'tcha know. :p
    I'm in that little chunk between where it starts changing to Northern or Southern or Eastern or Western accents. *can't actually think of what a "Western" accent would be*
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When I speak in English, without thinking about it I do an "English Language" accent (meaning that I'm not sure if it's English, American, Australian, Scottish or a mix of two or more of the above and possibly others). I probably aren't doing it so well, but I bet it still sounds better than it would if I were to use the Greek accent.
  • Options
    I'm picking up a welsh twang from watching way too much Gavin and Stacey. Or just a Nessa twang..

My mum sometimes shifts into her professional voice. It makes me criiiiiiinge and she hates it when I point it out.
  • Options
    Ive got quite a northern accent according to some, but for those I work with who are up north, it doesnt seem that much of a northern accent.

My accent has deffo been diluted since moving down south, Ive slowed down and dont speak quite as thickly as I did before.
  • Options
    I speak with what might be referred to as Queen's English, what some people might deem posh.

Not embarrassed about it at all. If people want to pre-suppose things merely based on what I sound like, I think that reflects more on them than it does on me. I am proud of my accent.
  • Options
    Nobody seems quite sure what my accent actually is anymore. There's a bizarre mixture of Welsh, the Queen's English and Irish in there now. If I head off to the USA, I'm going to come back sounding like a male version of Nadine Coyle. *shivers*