Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meeting people offline

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have never done this before.

There's someone I've been talking to online for about 6.5 years. He said something to me a few weeks ago on Facebook, which I managed to take completely the wrong way, (nothing unusual there) which lead to me asking if he wanted to meet me or something.

He said it's fine; but we have to meet in a public place.

We discussed this again on Wednesday/Thursday and he gave me the name of a place where we could meet. (I had to ask where this was)

Now, is there anything else we ideally need to do? I have read the articles on here; but can't find much else from them.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe let someone you know you're going and where you'll be.

Be careful if he's plying you with alcohol.

I think though that after 6.5 years you would be safer than if it was only 4 months, if he was only looking to drug you or something he would've suggested it alot earlier and probably left you alone when you said no. (just an opinion though)
  • Options
    I've done meet-ups for the following:

- World of Warcraft (cafés in London and my town)
    - Sundissential (club event, so obviously at nightclubs)
    - B2T (also a club event)
    - Ukrides (roller coaster community, at fairgrounds)
    - TheSite.org (user name "Stafford", local dance class)

If the places are public, like my above examples, then I'd say go for it :-) My World of Warcraft was the best example, ganing me some friends I consider to be amongst my best, who I now see a few times a year.
  • Options
    I've met people from online... didn't go well. But then I am probaly younger than you. I would say yeah, meet in a public place the first few times. And defo let a couple of your friends know where you are going to be and what time you'll be back.
    Also, make sure you know where you are. It's probaly best to meet somewhere you both know well if possible.
    And- don't go anywhere privite. Including walking down alleys or whatever to get somewhere. Stick to busy places. And as Lexi said, if you go for a drink or anything stay with it and buy your own.
    And, also as Lexi said, considering he wants to meet somewhere public it'll probaly be okay. I bet he is as worried as you.
    Xx
  • Options
    Not quite the same thing, but I met a male friend this summer who I had been in contact with for a couple of years over email. In my case, it was perfectly safe as, by the time we actually met face to face, he had already met and made friends with a number of friends of ours who belong to a motorcycle rally forum. It was soon clear from their exchanges that he was a nice guy.
  • Options
    Also, make sure you know where you are. It's probaly best to meet somewhere you both know well if possible.

This is what we're doing and it's very close (next to, I believe) university.
    And- don't go anywhere privite. Including walking down alleys or whatever to get somewhere. Stick to busy places. And as Lexi said, if you go for a drink or anything stay with it and buy your own.
    And, also as Lexi said, considering he wants to meet somewhere public it'll probaly be okay. I bet he is as worried as you.
    Xx

Yeah, we're meeting somewhere public. Mentioned this somewhere else and someone said "if he's saying "we can't meet at my home" then he's got something to hide" - I didn't take it like that though. I thought he was doing it for my safety and his. I do know where he lives; but don't know that area at all.
    if he was only looking to drug you or something he would've suggested it alot earlier and probably left you alone when you said no. (just an opinion though)

3 years ago, the subject of meeting each other was brought up (misunderstanding on his part, I think) and we both agreed it wasn't a good idea; as I was only 17 at the time.

Thanks guys.:)
  • Options
    Sounds like you've got it down pat.
    Public and let one or two people know where you are.
    I've met 7 people offline I think. And not all of them were in safe places haha. But they all went well. Minus a very very very awkward one, but that was in a cafe and I made an excuse to leave.
    I think I'm just too trusting/confident in myself that I'll kick their fucking arses if they try anything I don't like :D
  • Options
    Thanks.

Met him today and he is so different IRL. (he doesn't shut up on MSN - he didn't talk much today; neither did I)

Aside from me ending up at the wrong place, it went very well.
  • Options
    Part of that could just be first time meeting nerves!
  • Options
    Part of that could just be first time meeting nerves!

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

He ended up giving me whatever lurgy it is he has right now - lovely. :(
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Thanks.

Met him today and he is so different IRL. (he doesn't shut up on MSN - he didn't talk much today; neither did I)

Aside from me ending up at the wrong place, it went very well.

Lots of people (including myself) are more confident online and can express views and opinions easier than IRL.
  • Options
    Lots of people (including myself) are more confident online and can express views and opinions easier than IRL.

I'm like this too. I emailed him last night and he said that part of the reason for him being quiet was because he wasn't feeling too well.

He did tell me he was going cancel because he wasn't feeling too well - but he didn't want to upset me.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I'm like this too. I emailed him last night and he said that part of the reason for him being quiet was because he wasn't feeling too well.

He did tell me he was going cancel because he wasn't feeling too well - but he didn't want to upset me.

You gonna arrange to meet him again when hes feeling himself :D?
  • Options
    You gonna arrange to meet him again when hes feeling himself :D?

I wouldn't mind; but we haven't discussed it yet.
  • Options
    We met up again today. (because I have an inability to install stuff and follow his instructions:blush: )

Again, it went very well and he talked a lot more today than he did last time. I met his son too.