Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sky boxes and snow?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Has anyone elses stopped working?

We have a Sky + box in our living room and two normal Sky boxes in two other rooms.

None of them are working and a message is coming up saying "no satellite signal is being received". Just wondering if thats normal? I didn't realise the snow could do that!

Bad wind and rain has made them go a bit fuzzy and stuff in the past but they've never just not worked! Just wondering whether I should ring Sky? Not that I'm that bothered because I don't really want to watch TV today but yanno!!!!!!!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, snow has done that to ours before. I think it's 'cos the line of view to the satellite is interrupted by the heaviness of the snow.
  • Options
    Yeah satillette reception is easily affected by weather.
  • Options
    Yeah we have been affected by snow before *touch wood* we are ok today, even with lots of snow!
  • Options
    Yeah, happens to us. I just chuck a bucket of warm water over the dish from the bedroom window and then it's fine.
  • Options
    yep- we get this frequently even if it's a bit windy/rainy outside :/
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Yeah satillette reception is easily affected by weather.

like i said, its been affected by wind and rain before but not like this.

seems a bit weird snow would completely cut it all out as its just sitting happily on the dish, it isn't shaking it or anything.

mmm, will try and somehow brush the snow off it!

bloody sky :grump:
  • Options
    like i said, its been affected by wind and rain before but not like this.

seems a bit weird snow would completely cut it all out as its just sitting happily on the dish, it isn't shaking it or anything.

mmm, will try and somehow brush the snow off it!

bloody sky :grump:

If you were using a dish with power on the scale of the Arecibo array then no, snow wouldn't be much of an issue. On a domestic dish trying to get a signal into space....needs all the help it can get!
  • Options
    Kinda related but different technology - I'm on cable but I'm ok so far touch wood. Our problem with cable though tends to be the heat rather than the snow. This is because our infrastruture is made up of those famouse dark green repeater boxes that you see on the pavements. Because of their dark colour, they absorb heat and become prone to breaking up the cable network.
  • Options
    Mine wasn't working when I was getting ready for work...but it was snowing pretty heavily. Working perfectly now :)
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you were using a dish with power on the scale of the Arecibo array then no, snow wouldn't be much of an issue. On a domestic dish trying to get a signal into space....needs all the help it can get!

To be fair the dish is just recieving a signal, not broadcasting one, but the point is that the snow gets in the way.
  • Options
    no sky for me :(
  • Options
    its working again now :)
  • Options
    Snow-laden air can mess it up, as can a dish covered in snow... :)
  • Options
    I have no satellite and no digital.
    Both are covered in snow and icicles.
    I am cut off from the outside world mostly.
    If I set fire to my house theres no emergency services could get here. ...no doctors no nothing.
    I'm well stocked and thoroughly enjoying being marooned.

I've been told tha if the dish is seven years old and more ...water can get into the cable and it has to be rewired.
    Isn't Skive the man for this?
  • Options
    As of this morning I have no sky :( It keeps saying 'no signal being recieved- unplug the box for 1 minute' - but then when i go into the 'signal test' bit, it tells me the phone line is unplugged?? meh!!

i've brushed the snow off the dish, but to no avail. ahh well iplayer and 40d it is then.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I have no satellite and no digital.
    Both are covered in snow and icicles.
    I am cut off from the outside world mostly.
    If I set fire to my house theres no emergency services could get here. ...no doctors no nothing.
    I'm well stocked and thoroughly enjoying being marooned.

I've been told tha if the dish is seven years old and more ...water can get into the cable and it has to be rewired.
    Isn't Skive the man for this?

Snow will increase reflection from any recepptive device such as a dish or arial. best thing you can do is get a top of the range dish or arial and cover it with a non stick spray.

As for water getting into the cable, it depends on the quality of the installation. Water can and does cause corrosion resulting in dry joints and cable damage, outside cable can suffer frost damage because water is one of those special compounds that expands when it freezes. It's what fuck the roads up. Doubt it's any of that though.

Snow and heavy rain will fuck up you reception.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Has been fine until today. That said, it's really windy and we finally have proper snowfall...