Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how long do you spend in front of a screen?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know I spend a heck of a long time in front of either a computer or a tv, and sometimes both, and you?

Comments

• Options
    God, about 16 hours a day one way or another - though a bit less maybe given the screen is often off with the radio or audiobooks playing through the PC (at home, not at work :) )
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Most of the time I'm not sleeping, I think.
  • Options
    Too long. I'm either sleeping, out or n the computer.
  • Options
    8-10 hours i reckon. :<
  • Options
    too long.
  • Options
    Too long to care.
  • Options
    too long also. wouldnt be so bad if it was somethin productive!
  • Options
    8 at work (that includes the times I doze off though ;)) and a few hours at home. I don't know if I count the tv all that much as it is usually just background noise.
  • Options
    Too long. My poor eyes :(
  • Options
    Is it true that it damages your eyes or is that just something that people say?
  • Options
    What, square eyes..?!
  • Options
    Well, I don't like to think of myself as vin but square eyes is not a look I'm aiming for.
  • Options
    And here was I thinking it was the height of fashion...
  • Options
    8 hours working
    6 not working
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Is it true that it damages your eyes or is that just something that people say?

rear projection screens like TVs etc do LCDs dont. Thats why you're not supposed to sit close to TVs. Though you can still get eyestrain from focusing at the same point for too long.
  • Options
    Thats why all my TV's are LCD now (except the bedroom one which is rarely watched) and two monitors = lots of focusing on different points means I can sit and look at monitors constantly.
  • Options
    the reason rear projection screens are bad is its basically a high powered lightbulb so if you're sitting close staring at it for long times it mucks up your vision. a bit like looking at the sun maybe. im not a doctor :P
  • Options
    Yeah, isnt it the way the lighting works on it, where as on a LCD it is different, as RP uses a powerful lamp to show and stretch the small LCD picture in the rear of the tele??
  • Options
    yea basically RP has like a powerful bulb shinining light through a small image (somehow) that is projected onto the front of the screen.. which is why they need to be quite deep. LCDs use a matrix of pixels the same size as the physical screen (which is why they dont need to be resized) and behind that is a diffuser (like frosted glass i guess), and behind that is a lowish power light source. so rather than having to 'force' the image with high power light to create an image, its merely illuminating the image created by the lcd matrix. so its more like looking at a book with a torch shone on it rather than staring into a lightbulb :p

my explanation probably sucks.
  • Options
    Perfect explination, I knew how but not how to word it, that was good job mate.
  • Options
    Too much *echo*

But my uni work is mainly all computer based so thats my excuse. I think we all spend far too long looking at a screen but meh, nothings gonna change that.
  • Options
    Same as everyone else- near constantly for 8 hours at work, and then i reckon 3/4 hours of an evening if i'm not reading or out. It's how i fill up my time during the week when i can't see most of my friends.
  • Options
    Some days I can be staring at a screen all day at work, sometimes pretty much nothing. In my free time, depends on what work I have on, if not much I might watch a DVD or some of the TV I have downloaded, but I dont have a TV in my room. I do like reading the odd book though.
  • Options
    hmmn, the optician does always ask how long spent in front of the screen, I might ask them for a sciency eye health reason next time I'm there, I could do with my shortsightedness not getting any worse tbh.
  • Options
    Way too long... I'm probably going to be blind by the time I'm 35.