Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Growing out of your mates...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey I'm new to this thought I'd give it a go...I haven't been having a very terrific time at the moment...broke up with my boyfriend of 2 years, but i was on good terms, however it hasn't stopped me feeling like complete rubbish. What made it worse was my best friend at Uni a week later basically metaphorically slapped me in the face telling me we had drifted apart, which was news to me, but regardless we're not speaking anymore. Even worse I've fallen out with some friends from back home over the New Year, one especially is my longest mate from school. But we just have completely different lives now. I have the feeling that with my longest mate at least we just have nothing in common anymore and it sounds bad and everything she does just annoys and depresses me! I hate it but I can't ignore it and I can't keep putting up a front to her, it's not fiar on either of us...and I'm also scared because my friend pool seems to be shrinking by the day...I do have some good friends at Uni but I'm often alone in my flat a lot and I'm getting really down...missing my boyfriend, as someone to talk to as much for a hug, and I feel like I'm becoming more and more isolated all in the space of a month. Any voices of experience or advice on what to do next. Got my 3rd year exams in 2 weeks and my concentration is non-existent, any rays of hope would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    It happens - it's unfortunate you've lost 3 very close people in such a short space of time. There's no quick fix, but you will develop strong friendships to replace them in time.
  • Options
    What BG said. It sucks to lose friends, but sometimes you can feel really relieved about it as they were such a burden on your life.
    This happened to me in my last year at college - bf and I broke up, then friend and I broke up (good) and because a lot in our group are scared of her turning on them, a lot of others didn't really talk to me either. But I had my good friends there.
    Just in new classes at uni - sit next to someone new. Maybe take a night time class and make new friends that way :)
    I know you're pretty down, but try and not let that interfere too much with your friendships :) *hugs*