Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

mulled wine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to make mulled wine for the first time on Sunday, I can't wait :yippe:

Any tips, recipes, gems of mulled wine knowledge to share...

Comments

• Options
    top tip
    buy a bottle of ready made mulled wine and warm a mug of it in the microwave
    :yippe:
  • Options
    I'm making some right now. First time trying. Stuck some spices in a tea strainer thing, and some cloves into an orange, and then those with a lemon went into a saucepan with some wine and heated up. Then left on the hob ready for consumption.
  • Options
    don't let it boil
  • Options
    top tip
    buy a bottle of ready made mulled wine and warm a mug of it in the microwave
    :yippe:

i went around to a friend's a few weeks back and he bought a bottle of ready made mulled wine and put it in a pan. he then added some orange peel and cinnamon sticks and let it simmer for a while.

it was lovelllly. it got me very drunk though.
  • Options
    Oh my parents make something like that. But with orange slices and they put cloves in the orange slices as well (and the cinnamon sticks too)... and it is in a heated mixture of cranberry and some other kind of juice as we don't drink alcohol.
  • Options
    It's yummy.
  • Options
    i've just used some "vin chaud" bags bought in france once. i havn't seen any about here which is a shame as they cost £2 and made gallons of the stuff
  • Options
    We did a trial run last night and it turned out really good :)
  • Options
    How did you do it? I bought a bottle of the pre-made stuff from Tesco the other day, would be nice to know what I can add to it to make it even better though (the oranges with cloves and cinnamon sticks sound good)
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    How did you do it? I bought a bottle of the pre-made stuff from Tesco the other day, would be nice to know what I can add to it to make it even better though (the oranges with cloves and cinnamon sticks sound good)

We put a bottle of red wine in a saucepan on low heat with half a cinnamon stick, a few cloves, cardamon pods, a couple of bay leaves and a sliced lemon. Splash of water and about 100g of brown sugar. Took about 15-20 mins. It was gorgeous.
  • Options
    Yum! :yum: Sounds delicious.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say I followed your recipe on Christmas day (I sliced an orange with cloves stuck in it into the wine too) and it went down a treat - cheers :)
  • Options
    I like mulled wine- always serve with a smile :):):)