Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ssri's and alcohol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi 've been on cipramil [SSRI] since july; is it safe to drink alcohol, in moderation?

Comments

• Options
    yes, if you drink in moderation.

just be careful. i used to take SSRIs and whenever i drank too much, it got messy.
  • Options
    yes, if you drink in moderation.

just be careful. i used to take SSRIs and whenever i drank too much, it got messy.

how so?
  • Options
    it just made me go a little crazy. i got drunk much quicker than i normally would and i'd normally end up very very upset. it just got messy really.
  • Options
    I used to drink 'in moderation' on citalopram and other ssri's but when I was on citalopram I used to get worse hangovers.
  • Options
    Its worth checking the leaflet or asking a pharmacist what is best as it does depend on the particular SSRI :)
  • Options
    Hi Kat40 :wave:

Welcome to Thesite's boards. The community here is a safe environment full of people from all walks of life and with a wealth of experiences. It is always best to ask a health professional about the interactions between medication and alcohol. Can you ask your GP - or the person who prescribed it for you? Some Doctors wouldn't need you to make an appointment for this, you could arrange to talk on the phone to ask? Or you could ask NHS Direct?.

Everyone's bodies react differently to different things, so listen to what your body says to you.

Take care - :)