Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boosting one's immune system

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whneever there's colds going around, I seem to catch them. By some miracle, I've not had swine flu. (touch wood)

However, for most people, colds last for a few days; mine usually last for a week at least.

On Sunday, a friend of mine gave me his cold; which I still have is getting slightly worse - I was okish until I had a nose bleed on Tuesday evening.

Is there anything I can do boost my immune system please? I'm fed up of being ill so often. (I've had 2 weeks out of 14 since arriving at uni, where I've not been ill)

Comments

• Options
    healthy diet, more sleep, less stress.

In the real world, I seem to have had some luck with Vicks "first defense" and "vitality boost", and Beecham's cold relief caplets.
  • Options
    Good diet, regular exercise, good sleep are so so important.

Even if you don't want to do a proper run, just go for a walk once a day. I don't know the full effects except that it works. It's even better if you get up to breaking a sweat as then your body is stressing itself and meaning it's having to do work, making you stronger, giving you more antibodies etc.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/injuryprevention/a/Ex_Immunity.htm
  • Options
    aa probiotic supplement can be helpful, or even those actimel drinks.
    I would also consider taking echinacea
  • Options

How different are these to a normal yoghurt? I have started eating yoghurt again; hoping that it will help my stomach problems.

Where can I buy this from, please?

I have started going to the gym; but find I don't sleep that well. (but had 9 hours last night and am still tired)
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

You can buy it from Holland & Barretts and I'm sure if you google it you will find a health shop online that sell it quite cheaply!
  • Options
    Boots sell echinacea too..you get it in capsules or fizzy stuff or sweet thingies too.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    How different are these to a normal yoghurt? I have started eating yoghurt again; hoping that it will help my stomach problems.

I have started going to the gym; but find I don't sleep that well. (but had 9 hours last night and am still tired)

as long as its live yoghurt its ok. Its more effective to take probiotoc tho

If youre tired all the time, i wonder if youre anaemic?
  • Options
    I've also had a cold that has lasted for more than a week now- i say 'cold' but the runny nose etc bit has gone but i've had a high temperature constantly which is making me feel urrggg. I am stressed at work but i have no solution to this.
  • Options

I definatly agree with the echinacea! SCC reccomended it to me as well ;) I always seem to get colds in the winter and the boyfriend is deathly ill and I'm healthy as a horse :D
  • Options
    If youre tired all the time, i wonder if youre anaemic?

This has been mentioned in the past; but have never been tested for it. I do get tired quicker than what most people do.
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    As Shy Boy says, a good diet, regular exercise and lots of sleep are important for boosting your immunity.

Foods rich in Vitamin C (such as berries, kiwis, peppers, red chilli) and Zinc (such as beans, cashew nuts, chickpeas, almonds) are also said to be particularly good for their immune boosting properties.

Hope you’re feeling better! :)