Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

late period thing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My period is most likely anywhere from 7-10 days late now. I'm not exactly sure as it randomly moved forward a few days last month so where I should have started around the 5th December given when I started in November I'm not exactly sure when I should have started.
I've never been late until now.

I have been having unsafe sex which is why I'm considering the pregnancy card. Early this morning I had extremely minor spotting (talking drops) which is gone now, lately I've had more mood swings and been more emotional than is normal for me prior to my period and I've been tired. The last thing could definitely be the winter darkness.
I don't feel more stressed than normal.

However I took a pregnancy test this afternoon and it came out negative. Do you reckon that I am late enough for it to be a solid result?

I suppose only time can tell but I'm going crazy! I have two exams on Friday and last minute assignments to finish and I can't think about much else than where my period has gone to. :yeees:

Comments

• Options
    It depends how sensitive the test was, they vary a lot. If it was an early results type, they advertise they're 99% accurate by the first day of your missed period (or 14 days after unprotected sex). Less sensitive types can take until a week or two after your period's due to be totally accurate.

The standard advice is to give it a week, and if your period's still a no-show, test again. Super hard to keep your mind off it in the meantime, though!
  • Options
    Hi Jaloux

Seems like you have a lot on your mind at the moment with exams, assignments and also your late period. This information on pregnancy testing and missed periods may be useful for you at the moment?

You say that you are having unsafe sex at the moment? Is this something that you would like some more advice on?

Keep posting and take care - :)
  • Options
    Well the test claimed to be pretty accurate and could detect stuff early. I don't know I always thought these things were more clear cut!

I'll just have to keep waiting a while longer. ;) I don't really know what might have caused a missed period, my life's pretty much the same except that I moved but that was just fun and games. I'm used to having lots of stuff on my plate, I'm a very un-stressed person. That's why I find the negative test so strange as well as the delayed period. I'm not on any hormonal contraception or medication.

We've been tempting fate knowing the risk so if I were to be pregnant it wouldn't really a surprise. Whatever the outcome, we're both ready to deal with the consequences. I just hope my body gives me some sort of 'operation normal' sign soon. :p
  • Options
    Well, things are back to normal.

I'm however strangely sad and broody as hell. Fuckfuckfuck. :(
  • Options
    Well, at least you got an answer.

The sadness thing I understand. Sometimes when you think you might be pregnant, even if you hadn't exactly been trying, and then you find out you aren't, it's almost as if you're grieving a little.

Hope you feel better x
  • Options
    Thanks for the response! I appreciate it. :)

I ended up letting my bloke hug me while I was being emotional. It was a relief that my guy knew exactly what was up and didn't attempt to 'cheer me up' by saying something patronising, I felt stupid enough for feeling the way I did.

I guess it's something I want more than I'm ready to admit (which is one reason why we've been kinda careless, it's in the cards but maybe not just yet). The timing just isn't the best at the moment but it's difficult to be rational! Perhaps the biggest shock was how un-scary the whole idea was for us both.

It's good to be able to put this into words/writing. I feel so much better already. :) At least I can now safely get drunk over the holiday season so it's not all doom and gloom. :thumb: :D