Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Windows 7, DVD and blu-ray

I'm now on the Win 7 bandwagon! I've got "Home Premium" 64-bit version, ordered with a complete base unit. I have all of my system discs except for the optical drive. That concerned me, as I won't have the likes of Power DVD. Anyway, I attempted to play a DVD, and much to my surprise, it actually played! When I used to work on a helpdesk, I had numerous customers phoning in to say that they can't play DVDs because of the missing DVD codec and I told them that they need to install Power DVD. This was Vista by the way. How come I didn't need the codec? Is the codec already built into Win 7? Next dilemma will be blu-ray. I don't have any BR films to test out yet, but will my system accept them or will I deffo need Power DVD for that?

While we're on Win 7 topic, I'll list the good and bad points I've encountered so far. (mainly good though!)

Good:

- The iconised taskbar rock0rz!
- I love the translucent GUI
- It detected my wireless HP 5850 printer
- You don't need WMP to play DVDs (I use Media Player Classic)
- Nearly all 32-bit apps works under 64-bit
- The new Explorer with "bread crumbs"
- Windows XP mode? Bollocks. Use VMWare :-D
- Office 97 works under Win 7 :-P
- Solitaire!
- No app crashes or system crashes... yet!

Bad:

- Mixmeister 3 don't work (I need to install Mixmeister 6)
- DMX (disco lights) driver not accepted... use VMWare + Win 98/2k/XP for workaround
- Can't get the classic start menu any more
- Oh, and IE still sux... carry on using Firefox :-D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Welcome to the dark side. I knew you wouldn't be dissapointed.
  • Options
    I don't like how "manage network connections" became "change adapter settings". I still don't like how Vista+ forced you to go through "network and sharing centre" to get to the actual network settings.

But I think I notice annoying things more than good things ;)
  • Options
    I contacted my supplier today about video playback and I was told that Windows 7 has the required codecs built in, where Vista needed Power DVD.

But yeah, Windows 7 is deffo way more good than bad, especially with VMWare making the "Ultimate" edition redundant to me.
  • Options
    IE has become even more annoying with those accelerators, firefox has had 'search with $ENGINE' for aeons now.
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed the search in the start menu is really slow? It used to be instant, now it locks up with 100% CPU use (both cores) for about 5-10 seconds. And the start menu is indexed. Hmmm.