Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cat 5 or cat 6?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got a new PC at work, and there were a couple of cables around. One was cat 5 enhanced (?), the other was cat 6. Would it make a difference which one was used? I would use the cat 6 but it's too short, and was wondering what the difference is. Any networking geeks?

Comments

• Options
    If you're only using 10/100mbps, then no odds at all. Both are even fine for gigabit...
  • Options
    there honestly is very very little difference in performance between Cat5e and Cat6, Even over a gigabite ethernet network, however with 5e you may have a "small" amount of slow down with large data transfers but this is hardly noticeable
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Got a new PC at work, and there were a couple of cables around. One was cat 5 enhanced (?), the other was cat 6. Would it make a difference which one was used? I would use the cat 6 but it's too short, and was wondering what the difference is. Any networking geeks?

No.

Supposedly cat6 will succeed cat5 but in my time spent as a data cabler of the data we ran 80% was cat5, 10% was cat6 and 10% was fibre. Even when running new cable networks in universities most of it was cat5.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Cheers for the replies!
  • Options
    The main difference is that cat6 is slightly more expensive than cat5.
  • Options
    cat6 was much better than cat5, and was needed for the early gigabit networking spec. However, the gigabit spec actually deployed runs over cat5e, which is a slight improvement over cat5, but isn't as expensive as cat6