Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wanting to drop a module

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Can someone please tell me if the following is allowed:

I am struggling a lot with one of my modules and have spoken to my head of programme about this. He said I can either withdraw and do another course next year, or carry on and change course next year.

If I withdraw now, it's going to cause me a lot of problems financially, as I have rent to payup until June and won't be able to get benefits, as I am still classed as a full time student.

Whatever happens, I am going to change course next year.

Does anyone know if I can drop a module? What would happen (if anything) with student finance?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Things may have changed since I studied, but I was able to change my course and still get funded. However, what I couldn't do was complete a course, and then switch to a different one.

So you may need to make sure that you don't finish the module.
  • Options
    Some of it will depend on what you mean by changing course next year, and whether you're looking to start a new course completely afresh, or move over onto the second year of another course.

If you've transferring rather than starting afresh you will probably find that you need to pass this year, which will require taking all the modules. If you're starting afresh, then you probably won't need that module, but you'll need to check that you'll get funding for the extra year. Generally getting funding for one extra year is ok for whatever reason, but it's not guarenteed so worth checking.
  • Options
    If you're transfering, you can drop a module next semester, be classed as part-time, claim benefits. then when you've transfered next year, be full time again and take an extra module. see your financial advisor for clarification though, they can advise you.
  • Options
    Heya,
    You will still be accountable for the rent due to a contract....so may have to seek full time employment or talk to them about setting up an agreed timescale for payment......my friend did this....also, if you want to change course - quit this one before you get to next semester as student finance will only support you for 10 terms - which allows for a change of course.....
    hope this is of use. xx
  • Options
    I am looking at starting afresh. I have been told I would not be able to transfer on to the second year of the course I want to do, on the basis that I would need to pass the first year of the course. (one of the modules is a continuation of one I'm not currently doing)

Thanks.
  • Options
    How many credits do you take?

If it's 120, you can drop up to 20 credits (at least, this is the case in my university.) This is because for a normal degree you need 100 credits each year, but for an honours degree you need 120.
  • Options
    I currently 120 - each module is worth 30 credits.

I have tried talking to my programme leader - he really is useless. I've told him several times that I want to drop this module and he keeps saying "talk to the programme leader" & "this will delay your graduation". I know that.:banghead:

I am so tempoted to just stop attending the lab/lecture all together; but I know I will be chased up about it.
  • Options
    If you're starting a completely new course from first year, does it really matter? I'd be tempted to drop out work until next Sept, although I don't know how this affects loans.
  • Options
    Do you have a student union welfare officer you could speak to Melian? They should have a good understanding of the financial implications and be a bit more on your side than the faculty?
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote: »
    If you're starting a completely new course from first year, does it really matter? I'd be tempted to drop out work until next Sept, although I don't know how this affects loans.

Well, it would matter as I have rent to pay and I doubt I'll get my loan. Plus, because I'm still classed as a full time student, can't get any benefits. I have also been told that I'll have to pay back my grant too.

I have been told that I can do January start instead if I want to.