Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

calories burnt whilst exercising

does anyone know of any DECENT, REALISTIC websites that tell you how many calories you burn doing certain exercises based on your height, weight, etc?

i realise that it will be different for each person because of individual metabolisms, etc but i'm just interested in knowing how many calories ROUGHLY i burn per hour at work.

i have quite a physical job you see and it involves me walking (i walk quite quick too, about a mile per 15 mins) and cycling alot. i do 10 hour shifts so i probably do about 7-8 hours of walking/cycling each day if i'm not stuck on a scene and just standing around (i'd like to know how many calories this burns too, haha)

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Brisk walking is gonna burn about 600 cals per hour. Similarly to the rower at the gym. The bikes will burn less, the treadmill will burn your 600/hour if you're maintaining 4 mph, even more if you add a tilt. If you average everything out, let's say 600 cal/hour.
  • Options
    Hey
    I just found this calculator, which estimates how many calories you burn through exercise and daily living, taking into account your Body Mass Index (BMI, which is based on your weight/height).
    Hope it helps!
  • Options
    I like fitday.com
  • Options
    Realistically none are going to be all that accurate. Lets say you road a bike 5 days a week for the same amount of time and the same resistance for 10 weeks. Your body would burn more calories when you first started doing the exercise compared to how many calories you burn at 10 weeks.

Your body will adapt to its environment and will burn less calories and become more efficient over time if you don't change your exercises. That's why you see so many people who go to the gym still struggle with weight issues.

And don't trust the machines at the gym. They are frequently wrong.
  • Options
    I don't think metabolism makes THAT much difference and so believe that a simpole calclation based on weight is accurate enough really. If you're interested to nkow whether you're better off doing an hour skipping intenseluy or an hour roller skating gently down hill, the calculators have use.
  • Options
    thanks for the replies guys!

i was just wondering because i've managed to lose a stone in six weeks (since finishing my training and starting my job properly) without actually changing my diet!

ah well, im not complaining :razz: