Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Looking back at parents' lies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What lies did your mother and father use to control, 'nurture' and say it's for your own good?

I believe every couple has a style of lies to their children. Sometimes you knew at the time and wonder if they think I'm stupid, and with other lies you look back as an adult and have sussed them out!

Comments

• Options
    My father said to me if you didn't do well at school, you'll spend all your life homeless and begging on the streets. As it was I failed some exams and didn'tget to uni- still, I own my home and have always been gainfully employed

When we were very little, the classic parental lie was if we(siblings and I) were found to have told lies then our teeth will drop out lol
  • Options
    When I was little, I had this barking dog toy that used to do flips. One day the batteries had run out, and I found more in the cupboard. My mum (no doubt having had enough of the toy) told me that if you put two different brands of batteries in together, whatever you're putting them in will explode, so I couldn't put them in my toy. I believed this well into my early teeange years!
  • Options
    That when the ice cream truck plays the music he has ran out of ice cream :(

:lol:

Mind you, my mum hated how all fairy tales ended happy as it gives you a false perspective (or something like that) of life and all though i don't remember she used to make up the end of the stories by saying they all died, or something. Which she found very funny telling me the other day :lol:
  • Options
    You know, I cannot think of one occasion when my parents knowingly lied to me other than the Easter Bunny, tooth fairy and Father Christmas? Isn't that strange. Hmmmmm ..... :chin:
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    When I was little, I had this barking dog toy that used to do flips. One day the batteries had run out, and I found more in the cupboard. My mum (no doubt having had enough of the toy) told me that if you put two different brands of batteries in together, whatever you're putting them in will explode, so I couldn't put them in my toy. I believed this well into my early teeange years!
    Sounds like your mum isn't a scientist!
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    You know, I cannot think of one occasion when my parents knowingly lied to me other than the Easter Bunny, tooth fairy and Father Christmas? Isn't that strange. Hmmmmm ..... :chin:
    Only 'cos they were under pressure to lie- everyone had to when it comes to Christmas and the presents at the tree- pressure of tradition. Your parents are almost perfect :)
  • Options
    My father always told me this is your last exam, just do good in it and after that you will enjoy, i always take every exam as my last one but since it was not ture i lost my trust in my father... and no exam was my last exam and after finishing uni i get into much bigger exam, F* life...
  • Options
    My father always told me this is your last exam, just do good in it and after that you will enjoy and always take every exam as my last one but since it was not ture i lost my trust in my father... an no exam was my last exam and after finishing uni i get into much bigger exam, F* life...

Yes, exams are one of life's hurdles that keep recurring! not all our elders are with it
  • Options
    It's just a phase, you'll grow out of it, er you'll go to hell... nothing serious. I didn't believe it so it doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    The one lie my parents told me that will always stick in my mind was when i was 14 and they didnt tell me my nana was dying of cancer because they thought i would not understand.

My mum can be a bit of a drama queen around illness and said 'oh shes very poorly and shes having radiotherapy' and i asked if she had cancer they said no and i called them on their bullshit - she never really bothered trying to lie to me again :yeees:

She did tell my girlfriend she could not take a ham sandwich back to denmark to eat on the plane because of meat export laws... so i think she will always be a bit barmy.