Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

general anesthetic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiiii,

I've tried searching online but can't find an answer. I'm due to have a laparoscopy to see if I have endemitriosis but it needs to be done under general anesthetic. I had 2 operations when I was about 6 and the anesthetic terrified me, I then had another in July(hoping i would have overcome this fear by then) but I really hadnt! I told the nurse/surgeon/anesthetist before hand that I was really nervouse but got the response of 'you have to have it done so get over it' As I'm now 18 they said i had to walk down to theatre by myself, but ended up having such a massive panic attack in the anesthetic room they got my mum to come down and hold my arm down while they injected the stuff to make me sleepy. I have major anxiety issues over control and stuff, so although I've got ways of managing them now I still cant overcome this!
What I was wondering is if its possible to take calming or sedation tablets before hand, and what kind of effect they have on you?
I dont know when the op is as im on the cancellation list so they could call me up and say youve got in tomorrow, which is another thing that scares me!
I was told last time to let people know that I was anxious and they would help calm me down, but they literally just had no time for it. The anesthesit came round before hand and i tried to explain my worried but she literally just said you have to have it done, and if you dont want it then go home., Not really reassuring is it!?
Even now I've worked myself up about it. :(

Comments

• Options
    Well hopefully this time you'll have slightly more sympathetic staff!

One of the best things to do is to tell them - it can only help. And actually for a lot of people who are scared, the just put uyp with it and get on with it and get it over with approach is the best.

It's difficult, but not impossible, to take any kind of calming or sedation tablets before hand because of the potential for interaction with the anaesthetic drugs.

It's probably actually a good thing to be on the cancellation list, as that way it will be short notice so you won't have too long to work yourself up over it.

My top tips would be to tell them you're nervous, tell them you panicked last time and you'd like to not do the same again but you're worried it will happen again. Did you have the IV line in before you went down to the aneasthic room last time? At least if you've got the line in first, then all you have to do is lie there and look the other way while they get on with it, you can pretty much pretend it's not happening.

Essentially, you do need to have it done, and while you can't necessarily get over it, you probably do need to come up with a way to put up with it for a very very short period of time. I'd suggest distraction. One tip I got when they were trying to relax me was to do nothing but count in your head, up and up and up to higher and higher numbers.
  • Options
    I wouldn't suggest taking any tablets of any kind before an operation without the consent of the doctors and anaesthetist.

There could be an unknown reaction between the two which could be life threatening and if they don't know what you have taken, they may treat you inappropriately - which could kill you.

Rather ask them for an 'official' sedative which they can probably do.
  • Options
    DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING without consulting someone first.

Don't take this the wrong way but people in operating thetres just don't have the time to molly coddle people. I know a S.O.D.A. the work they have to do, things that need to be checked, re-checked and checked again to make sure you're ok when you're on the table. Budget cuts, targets, old equipment, under staffing, DNA's, emergencys etc. It's crap yeah, but they're job is to operate on you and make sure your safe while under anaesthetic.

Why don't you take someone with you while you have the pre-med ?
  • Options
    I wasnt planning on taking anything myself, more do they have anything at the hospital that is available?
    i completley argee with them being very busy people, thats why I was trying to find out now so it makes it a much quicker process on the day.
    I'll be on the day surgery ward but last time i was the only one to have a general, not a local so was the last to go down, hence a day long of waiting.
    From what theyve said i wont be having a pre med this time as the last one i had was only a few months ago so theyre guan use the notes from that (something about not needing blood tests/ecgs etc a 2nd time within 6 months) I'm hoping when i find out when it is i may get a chance to pop in and have a quick chat with oen of the nurses to see if they have anythign available.
    I know its completley irrational and that is what makes it worse, its silly but i cant help myself!
    thankyou :)
  • Options
    im glad you made this thread, cos im having my first ever general anaesthetic on friday, to have treatment to remove some precancerous cells from my cervix like you im really scared about and it and im totally dreading it, its keeping me awake at night and i feel sick all the time :| thing is im SURE i read somewhere that they can give you a pre-med that helps relax you, if you're feeling anxiety about a general anaesthetic but when iv looked for it now i cant find it anywhere! it doesnt say it on the NHS website but i think iv read it in a leaflet i got on general anaesthetic from the hospital...i may be totally wrong and confused though. hmmm.
  • Options
    I know when you have a local they give you a sedation thing, im just not sure if its the same for general.
    From having it before i know its really not that bad, its just actually being there and letting them put the injection in your hand!
    the scariest thing i found was after they did it your head goes a bit woozy and sound goes, i only remember literally about 4 seconds worth but mum said i was crying and screaming for about 5 mins till it fully affects you.
    Maybe try giving the hospital/gynae a call tomorrow and ask beforehand?
    the worse bit i found was when you walk down to theatre but having to walk into the room and getting on the bed, that just totally threw me,
    let us all know how you get on, good luck, i hope it goes well!
  • Options
    lulu_lupo wrote: »
    the scariest thing i found was after they did it your head goes a bit woozy and sound goes, i only remember literally about 4 seconds worth but mum said i was crying and screaming for about 5 mins till it fully affects you.

Hi hope you are doing ok? with a general anaesthetic you are "out" straight away, so it's very unusual you were crying for a few mins after that! I have had a couple of general Anaesthetics in the last few years, for appendicitis, 2 miscarriages (D&C's) so I'v had to have the general. I was a bit nervous first time but I don't mind it now. Sometimes the anticipation is the worst thing. They only have to do it because they are trying to help you, & to see whats the story. They don't give you anything to sedate you for the general though, the last time I was asked to sign my name on the op form about 3 mins before the injection, so you have to be clear headed. Lots of people go through this every day, so just think of the benefits you will feel after when the can treat you for your complaint. good luck!
  • Options
    It didnt feel like straight away! lol, it may have been my mother exagerating the minutes but it was definately for a little bit.
    I didnt realise there wasnt anything, I thought you could have a calming thing, Ive usually had to sign the forms a good hour or so before.
    It really is just the anticipation, I know that its totally safe and I will be fine, its just a horrible thought! i dont think it helps that my nan died after an operation last year, she had tons of other problems and literally just didnt come round again. I know that wont happen but it definately threw me a bit.
    Thanks for all the encouragment, it really will be worth it and the thought of being out of a lot of pain is the only thing making me go through with it! :)
  • Options
    Hey the last time I had the general, I was dreaming about an episode of "home & away" & thats really wierd because I haven't watched it in years. when I woke up I said to the nurse, about the episode of home & away I just "saw on the telly" & she laughed her head off, because I had spent that half an hour out cold! She said some people start cursing the minute they wake up, so that made me feel ok for rambling on about home & away! It was amazing that I was dreaming, so it's just a form of induced sleep really. hey you might have a cool dream too!
  • Options
    you need to speak to you anesthtist when you go for your pre-op consultation. Tell them about your anxiousness and that you need some sort of sedation before hand. It is possible for them to give you something, i had it when i had my laproscopy and my husband was also given it when he had two ops recently. Our hospital gives them as a standard and administer them about 45mins before you go down to theatre, ofcourse it does mean that they need to take the bed down.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    Tell them about your anxiousness and that you need some sort of sedation before hand. It is possible for them to give you something, i had it when i had my laproscopy and my husband was also given it when he had two ops recently. Our hospital gives them as a standard and administer them about 45mins before you go down to theatre, ofcourse it does mean that they need to take the bed down.

I was taken down for my D&C in the bed but I def was not given sedation before, beacuse right before I was taken into the op theatre, I was asked my name, DOB & to sign my name again on the op form. But I'm in Ireland, so maybe protocol is different here. the point i'm making is that there is no need to be afraid of the general. When She's over that part they'll know what the story is & can help her!
  • Options
    i had my general anaesthetic yesterday and i was totally fine. i know it probably wont help you because you're scared anyway. but i had the most lovely staff looking after me, they explained everything they were doing, totally calmed me down because i knew exactly what was going on. wont lie though, i did get really scared when they were putting the canula in my hand and one little tear escaped out of my eye haha, the nurse said 'think of something really nice' so i thought of a massive chocolate cake (!!!) and instantly i was gone, fast asleep.

i didnt feel that groggy waking up and just felt like id had a really good sleep, although i was a bit disorientated and started talking to the recovery nurse about some chocolates that were on offer at asda haha! only thing that happened was i started shaking a lot so i had to have some oxygen but it was fine. no after effects at all! i slept a while, they made me some toast that tasted amazing and a cup of tea then i went home 4 hours later :]

anyway i hope yours is as fine as mine was, and i know its hard but just try not to worry :/ they know what they are doing as they do it constantly every day and they are professionals, and the risk of anything happening in an anaesthetic is tiny! on the leaflet it says its more risky to travel in a car or cross the road than anything bad happening in a general. :) x
  • Options
    Hi there,
    I am new on this board and was actually looking for something else when I read your blogs.
    I am an ODP in the operating Theatre (I help the anaesthetist).. It is totally common to have an anxiety before any surgery, but please please discuss with your anaesthetist and tell them how you feel. If they do not listen then inform the surgeon or even the ward nurses. You can get the ward nurses to write something in your notes and they will hand that over to the Theatre team when you have your op. Some anaesthetist do give a sort of pre med but that is only when you get down to the theatre, the reason for this is you will have to give consent, Name, DOB and any medical history. And it will NOT be law abiding if you are under the influence of any kind of drugs.

I do hope this helps, please try not to be to nervous.. I wish you were coming in to see me:)

Wish you well

Ps it is very common to cry after surgery due to the emotional journey and the drugs
  • Options
    FireyFirenze - Glad it all went well, hope everything is sorted now!

just hoping to get it out of the way as soon as possible now, the more time i have to worry the worse it gets!

mmo, im hoping next time i have somebody a bit more understanding,nothing is going to stop me being nervous but a bit of understanding wouldnt be missed! I'll look into a pre med with the hospital once i have my date through, not sure how much it will help once im already down there, but thankyou for clearing it up!
    I know how frustrating it must be when your very busy, do you get a lot of people that freak out over it?
  • Options
    I love the feeling of going under a GA
  • Options
    Everyday.. Your really are not alone, but the more you worry now the worse you will be. Please believe me when I say you really do have nothing to worry about..

What is your fear?? eg Needles ????
  • Options
    when i had mine, my sister is an ODP and she works in the theatre that i had mine done in :D she wasnt allowed in or anything, and actually it was her day off but she told all the staff to look after me super good haha. sorry not really on topic but never mind.
  • Options
    i know that now, its just ahrd to tell myself that at the time!

nope, im totally fine with needles , IV's, injections, the procedure itself etc it is literally jus the anesthetic. I suffer quite intense panic attacks at being in control. not so much more in everyday situations, but i hate the feeling of being really drunk/going woozy/dizzy etc, so basically the whole feeling of going under
  • Options
    My best advice to you is : When you get down to the theatre. Close your eyes and try to start to imagine your favourite place, I always tell patient's to do this as you can go anywhere in the world.. Then really think about the small details, like waves crashing against the beach the warmth of the sun on your face, your favourite person with you. Then this will hopefully try to calm you and then you will be awake and your operation will be done.
    Just try not to think 'oh I fell dizzy', 'oh I feel out of control'... The image that you have in your head is under your control so try to control that, and I am sure it will help.
    Good luck, wish you all the best.;)