Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Palpitations waking me up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, so I've still got this problem with my breathing, and the doc said it was anxiety/stress related and the week before last prescribed me some beta- blockers.

My question is- for the past 3/4 days, i've been going to sleep, and having strong palpations- my breathing feels constricted, but i think that's because the palpations are making me slightly (more) anxious.

The worst part is in the middle of the night! without fail, for the past 4 nights, i have woken up suddenly at like 2/3/4am with really strong palpitations, feeling dizzy from the centre of my forehead between my eyes, and my heartbeat feels so strong it feels hard to breathe :/ I also start feeling cold (start to shiver for a few mins) and feel 'fluttery'.

I've tried to take my pulse at these times, and it seems normal :/ Has anyone else experienced this? is it a side effect of the beta blockers??

It's horrible, but i am managing not to panic, just telling myself it will pass, and doing breathing exercises- but when i lie down to sleep again i get the palpitations starting again until finally i must zonk out :(

Help! :(

Comments

• Options
    I think I get this, but it's every so often. I've never been able to explain it as it's more a feeling than physical and I've took the dizzyness and shivering down to getting scared and anxiety.

If I lay down again it gets worse or face the same way I get it. And I think it only passes if I just fall asleep due to complete tiredness.

I don't know if it's the same thing but it sounds similar. Do you get it if you are going away somewhere even if it's months away?

Could be the beta blockers, I'm not sure though. I knew someone on them and they did make them feel funny.
  • Options
    Well the thing is, i've only just experienced it since i started taking the beta blockers which is why i was kinda linking it... but it could be the anxiety...i'm just not sure :/

I'm due some blood test results tomorrow for possible anaemia or hyperthyroidism but i'm pretty sure they will come back negative. I'll let you know :)
  • Options
    Yeah could be the beta blockers. Hope your ok!
    The medication I'm on for my headaches has some anxiety / feeling like there is a ton of bricks on your chest. Sucks.
  • Options
    Beta blockers can cause more palpatations while your body gets used to it. It will probably say that on your leaflet with them.
  • Options
    I can't see anything on the leaflet about palpitations :/ I'm gonna book another docs appt tomorrow and see what he suggests. xx
  • Options
    When i took mine years ago i got it and doc said it was a side effect as did the leaflet. Speaking to your doc is a good idea though.
  • Options
    Ok so i've just found this:

Anxiety can cause physical symptoms such as fast heartbeat, palpitations and trembling. Propranolol slows the heart rate to relieve these symptoms. (This medicine does not relieve the emotional symptoms associated with anxiety such as stress or fear, these symptoms should be treated separately)

..so surely the meds should be relieving the symptom, not causing it?
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    ..so surely the meds should be relieving the symptom, not causing it?

That's what i was thinking, i thought you took em to relieve stress n anxiety? :(

i hope for the best is all i can say :thumb:
  • Options
    Cheers guys :) Well i've had a bit of a nightmare of a day! still didn't feel good this morning so i called to get a docs appt and he said 'ok.. stop taking the beta blocker, and come see me tomorrow' so i didn't take the pill and went to work.
    I was feeling really tired and pancky, so i asked to lie down in the first aid room and i started to panic, and couldn't really calm down, and was having bad palpitations, so the 1st aider called a paramedic.
    The panic attack faded, and theeen i started to get this horrible 'fit' where i was awake, but my eyes went to wide and hard to focus, and i started flailing around with no control over the muscle spasms!
    in all i had like 6 of these episodes, so they took me to hospital to check my heart which was just up and down- turns out i had too much adrenaline around my body caused by stopping the beta blockers, and the rest was the anxiety making it worse:(

So.... back to the docs tomz to sort out this problem again!!
  • Options
    *hugs!*

hope the Doctors goes ok tomorrow, keep us updated :)
  • Options
    ok, an update:

The doc has said that all of this drama etc is caused by withdrawing from my effexor :/ I mean... i've been on a reduction program for agggges! but hey, i'll try anything right now. He's upped my meds right back to where they were (75mg)
    I'm willing to try it, but pretty disappointed- am i ever gonna get off this damn drug??!
  • Options
    Just another update- had another fit today, and am feeling pretty shit on the ADs (side effects of increasing the dose :( nausea, lightheadness, tiredness) but i'm just gonna rest loads, and hope it improves!
  • Options
    Hope you feel better soon