Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sleeping tablets/insomnia

anyone on them long term? Ive heard its dangerous to be on them long term, but im getting FUCKING FED UP of insomnia. I spend all day worrying whether im going to sleep at night. If i smoke weed and drink, i can get to sleep ok, otherwise its really hit and miss. I have been known to just lie there awake the whole night long. Its really beyond a joke. I never used to be this bad, but in the last couple of months its really awful. Ive tried all sorts of things. Homeopathy, herbal remedies. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. I was prescribed zopiclone a while back which have worked in the past, but with my insomnia lately, they dont touch it. Last time I took 2 and then laid there awake all night, so i went to the doctor, saw some crappy student doctor, who to my horror, prescribed me temazepam. Now this stuff actually works, but its supposed to be severely addictive, and now I cant stop worrying about that.
What am I to do? Do I just stop worrying and take whatever works?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you know why you can't sleep? I'm the same right now; but won't go to the doctors because I know it's a side effect of the medication I'm on and I'd rather not be taking more medication. (hopefully won't be on it much longer)
  • Options
    I battle with anxiety, and have done since I had my last child. A form of post natal illness I assume, as i wasnt like it before.
    I was alright when i was on an anti anxiety medication, but i came off it because of other side effects. The doctor then put me on citalopram, which stopped me sleeping totally. I was only on them for 2 weeks, but my sleeping has never recovered.
    Am now using 5htp to help with the anxiety, which works really well, but it doesnt help me sleep
  • Options
    I'm suffering quite badly from insomnia at the moment. I was considering maybe getting some sleeping tablets, but I've been worried about ending up depending on them permanently and I don't necessarily want to be taking yet more drugs, on top of my acne and depression tablets.
  • Options
    Hi SuzyCremCheese,

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with insomnia at the moment and that you spend a lot of time worrying about your next night's sleep. Sound's like you are really fed up with it. You've said that it has got worse in recent months. Is there anything that you can think of that may have triggered it off?

You mentioned that if you drink and smoke weed, then you can get to sleep. It may be that your body is dependent on these substances and that without them you cannot sleep? Alcohol is a stimulant, and even though it may not seem like it, will keep your body and mind awake, or certainly can result in interrupted sleep.

The pages we have on insomnia and tranquillisers may go some way to help you at the moment. If you are worried about the Tamazepan then how about going back to see a different GP for some further advice?

Also might be worth remembering that what is addictive, effective or ineffective for one person may not be for the next.

We wish you the best of luck getting to the bottom of this, keep posting to let us know how you get on - :)
  • Options
    Harry23 wrote: »
    Hi SuzyCremCheese,

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with insomnia at the moment and that you spend a lot of time worrying about your next night's sleep. Sound's like you are really fed up with it. You've said that it has got worse in recent months. Is there anything that you can think of that may have triggered it off?

Y)

well yeah, if you read my last post, but thanks for your reply
  • Options
    I wouldn't waste your time or money on homeopathy and herbal remedies, as they will have no effect other than placebo. Maybe it's worth seeing some kind of psychotherapist or hypnotherapist though? They could work on your anxiety and help you control the worrying thoughts that disturb your sleep.
  • Options
    I used some green medicine in a green box called Night Nurse. I find that works a treat. You do, however, need to allow 8 hours sleep before you intend to wake up. If you take the medicine and don't allow full 8 hours sleep, you will end up feeling worse than you would have done had you only had i.e. 3 hours of sleep.
  • Options
    night nurse just has an antihistamine in it. I sometimes take a piriton as it has soporific qualities, but it doesnt always work.
  • Options
    Not much help on the drugs front... I can say I've known people develop serious problems with benzos, so stay well clear.

Have you tried exercise?
  • Options
    I know it's not necessarily the most useful thing you want to hear, but worth throwing in as an option.

Best thing I've ever done for my sleeping is taking up rowing. I'm up early several mornings a week, and doing some serious exercise, so head hits the pillow with physical tiredness rather than the mentally stressed and worn down tiredness I used to have.

Not easy with a family I know, but any chance of doing hard hitting exercise, or have you tried it in the past and found it to help?

On the temezapan front, from my (limited) knowledge, could be good to try anb break the pattern and settle into a new regime where you expect to sleep rather than expect not to, but would ring massive alarm bells for using any length of time.
  • Options
    My dad used to take tablets, but he said they didn't help him. He's really weird, medicane does nothing to him. Anyhow, you could go back to the doc and say your worried about the addictive-ness of your tablets. I'm sure she or he could help you understand them more. Also, might sound really really stupid, but don't try and force yourself to sleep. Just read or watch T.V, and sleep when you feel kinda ready. Don't go to bed and say "I am going to sleep at this time" just go to bed with the thought of "I will sleep, when I am ready."
    X
  • Options
    i do go to the gym at least 3 times a week. I havent noticed it making a difference to my sleep.
    I am going to go back to the doctors asap, because although after posting this i managed sleeping 2 nights without tablets, the last 2 nights, I had to take them, and last night I took a temazepam and it didnt work. I lay there, my body feeling heavy and tired, but my brain still racing. I took another half a tablet after an hour and a half and then managed 4 hours sleep, but feel pretty knackered today, and the doctor did specifically tell me not to take more than one, but i didnt really have much choice.
    I think its partly because im in france qt the moment and staying with my partners family who mostly dnt speak english, so im really having to concentrate and be alert to follow conversations in french. When I was trying to sleep my mind was racing with translating everything that came into my head into french. Its very weird and very annoying. Couldnt stop it though.
  • Options
    Hi there suzycreamcheese :wave:

Sounds like you're taking a lot of steps in the right direction and trying to be patient while these changes take effect is the hardest part - keep going! It can take a few weeks to really implement a new and better sleeping routine so try (easier said than done, I know) and be kind to yourself - you're doing well!
    And no wonder its hard at the moment - being away and speaking in another language can cause extra stress and overwork the brain - keeping up with the French conversations on very little sleep is no mean feat! I'm totally impressed!

Take care,
    cat treats