Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CWU / Royal Mail dispute

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've been doing my research on this since they're hardly mentioning a thing on what it's about other than money and modernisation

Technically they're striking because Royal Mail hasn't kept their side of the bargain on the agreement they made in 2007 over modernisation, by bullying workers into doing more for the same

The royal mail is making a trading loss after paying out to pension fund, but in actual operation made £330m profit last year, mainly from junk mail, but all depts are making a profit

The Royal Mail took a 5 year pension holiday like 15 years ago, in which the money went to government coffers, since the government won't pay up without privitising, the firm is plugging the gap with it's own profits these days

The volume of mail has gone down according to RM, but this is due to an arbituary way 'boxes' are assigned a volume, it used to be like 204 letters a box now its 150, though random spot checks suggest it's about 230

The union is willing to accept job losses but thinks 40,000 in the past 4 years and then more in the future is a bit much but is willing to negoiate whereas RM refuses to go to arbitration

RM is the ONLY delivery firm who made money last year strangely despite losing money on deliveries for other companies, since they only get 13p a letter from TNT/ukmail etc (forced on them by the government regulator)

so much misinformation out there, i think they're shotting themselves in the feet, i think they should jsut do something like 1 day where they won't check for stamps, just to force a loss of money

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n18/maya01_.html
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23758029-it-is-not-londons-posties-who-are-failing-to-deliver.do
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/oct/19/royal-mail-union-meeting - RM refusing to go to ACAS

Comments

• Options
    AND ...from the top down to middle management ...large bonusus are being paid out ...and large pension pots.
    Back the posties.
  • Options
    I do hope that the people who are going out on strike are looking forward to being on the dole. Because that's what a prolonged strike will bring about - the end of Royal Mail.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I do hope that the people who are going out on strike are looking forward to being on the dole. Because that's what a prolonged strike will bring about - the end of Royal Mail.

if they put up and shut up it'd be worse though imo

all those tempsthey're going to hire, who you think nicks the stuff at xmas? not full timers
  • Options
    all those temps they're going to hire, who you think nicks the stuff at xmas? not full timers
    Oh yeah, like you're going to encourage people to come round to your point of view by encouraging temporary workers (of whom there are millions in the UK, I am one of them) of being thieves. You're going to have to do a lot better than that!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, like you're going to encourage people to come round to your point of view by encouraging temporary workers (of whom there are millions in the UK, I am one of them) of being thieves. You're going to have to do a lot better than that!

lol where did i say ALL

i just said it's more likely with all the temps at xmas, which they always hire

i think the strike isn't the wisest thing they could of been a bit more imaginative in screwing up the RM without doing in their customers but i definetly am seeing why they're sriking

ps i know there's never any convincing you :lol:
  • Options
    ps i know there's never any convincing you :lol:
    Oh, I don't know about that. I'm With Stupid managed to change my mind on the death penalty - although probably not for the reasons he wanted...
  • Options
    i like the way the royal mail bosses say "this strike will hurt customers" instead of saying "this strike will hurt us", it is they're way of saying that they are voice of reason and the postman on the street is a silly little man who knows nothing.. :yuck: ceo's are new atristocracy and couldn't give a damn what they make the people at the end of the command chain feel like. i support the strike action, mainly because i know for a fact the cwu doesn't take decisions like this lightly.

Stargalaxy, you'd be a great columnist in the Telegraph :p
  • Options
    I don't understand how they think they can get away with hiring so many temps anyway. They normally need 15,000. Any extra and they'll be breaking employment law on strike breakers.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I don't understand how they think they can get away with hiring so many temps anyway. They normally need 15,000. Any extra and they'll be breaking employment law on strike breakers.

they say that it is to clear the backlog as well as cope with increasing volumes in the run up to christmas; so they can "get away with it" by saying that work being done by the temps isn't the same as the work that was done by their permanent employees. there has been quite a lot of industrial action in the royal mail already this year with regional walkouts etc
  • Options
    yeahwalk wrote: »
    Stargalaxy, you'd be a great columnist in the Telegraph :p
    Thanks, but no thanks. :p I wouldn't be keen on writing for a newspaper, too many editoral lines to conform to. I will eventually get round to starting a blog where I vent my spleen about pretty much anything and everything on my mind. It'll spare TheSite from the extremes I sometimes go to...

As for why Royal Mail can "get away with it", it's partly because the Government is flatly refusing to intervene in this. If it sides with Royal Mail, it will be accused of upsetting the unions, which in turn will give less funding to the effectively bankrupt organisation that is the Labour Party. If it sides with the trade unions, it will be accused of wanting to see an entire company destroyed. And no matter whom it sides with, the customer loses out.

Still, I'm sure that Broon - when his focus group have finally decided what kind of biscuit he likes - will soon be told by Mandelson what to do about it. Or not.
  • Options
    Thanks, but no thanks. :p I wouldn't be keen on writing for a newspaper, too many editoral lines to conform to. I will eventually get round to starting a blog where I vent my spleen about pretty much anything and everything on my mind. It'll spare TheSite from the extremes I sometimes go to...

As for why Royal Mail can "get away with it", it's partly because the Government is flatly refusing to intervene in this. If it sides with Royal Mail, it will be accused of upsetting the unions, which in turn will give less funding to the effectively bankrupt organisation that is the Labour Party. If it sides with the trade unions, it will be accused of wanting to see an entire company destroyed. And no matter whom it sides with, the customer loses out.

Still, I'm sure that Broon - when his focus group have finally decided what kind of biscuit he likes - will soon be told by Mandelson what to do about it. Or not.

tbh i hope mandelson doesn't have any more to do with it cos he is meddling prat who is no good to anyone.
  • Options
    Im pissed off as I have things Im waiting for, which are stuck in the post. This is all likely to increase the chances of things getting lost. When the posties do come back, they are going to have to work mega hard to clear this backlog.

From my personal point of view, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot.