Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i vote toshiba :thumb:
  • Options
    europc.co.uk cheap and on extended warranty :)
  • Options
    I'd not have the Tosh... 11.6" isn't very big at all for a screen... unless it's just for very casual use?
  • Options
    It will be used for uni. But I doubt I'll be carrying it around a lot. I mainly use the computer for music, videos, Internet and school work. So I thought the HP one would be better plus it looks really nice.
  • Options
    It will be used for uni. But I doubt I'll be carrying it around a lot. I mainly use the computer for music, videos, Internet and school work. So I thought the HP one would be better plus it looks really nice.

Forget what they look like. Go have a play, see how the keyboard is to use, the screen to look at, and how the placement of the touchpad suits your hands.
  • Options
    Stay away from toshiba's peices of shit that break every 5seconds and not worth a penny, forget about them.

Or this Samsung
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155558
    Extra gig of ram than the HP, bigger HDD and better imo..

ETA btw the toshiba's PSU is half the speed of the HP so slower..
  • Options
    Looks alright. What's the keyboard like? How hot does it run on your lap? Do you like the screen?
  • Options
    i saw it today in the shop and the keyboard is quite nice, its quite big aswell. Its really thin compared to the HP on. The screen is nice and bright and big. Not sure about how hot it gets, it didn't feel too hot.

I think its got a better procesor than the Hp as well
  • Options
    Processors are often very overrated by the majority of people. For day to day use, I see no difference between my Celeron 2ghz, Pentium D 3.2ghz, and my 3.6ghz dual core.

There is a difference between them - but it's very small with typical use. I find a big difference between them when:

Ripping a DVD, and compressing it with Divx
    Decrypting a 4gb database, then inserting it locally

For playing music, using Word, going on the internet, playing videos on Youtube... it'll be much of a muchness. :)

All IMO...
  • Options
    yeah, i'm not too fussed about the processor because i dont think it makes a huge difference, but today the pc guy showed us a chart comparing processors and now mums like "oh no! you dont want a rubbish one" lol
  • Options
    yeah, i'm not too fussed about the processor because i dont think it makes a huge difference, but today the pc guy showed us a chart comparing processors and now mums like "oh no! you dont want a rubbish one" lol

ah! everything the computer does passes thru the processor, it is the brains behind it all, you need a decent processor not celeron or some shit like that.
  • Options
    well the Hp one has a AMD Athlon II processor M320. which compared with the Intel Pentium Dual Core isn't very good. :|
  • Options
    It's akin to saying a 2.0 engine isn't as good as a 2.5 - it's plenty good enough, just not as good.

If you're planning on using it in a mobile fashion, it's more important(IMO) to look up the power consumption of each processor, as well as the typical battery life... :)

Here:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_Dual-Core/Intel-Pentium%20Dual-Core%20Mobile%20T4300%20AW80577GG0451MA.html
    http://products.amd.com/en-us/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=582&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=

Both are 64-bit, both generate the same kind of heat. I'd take either, both have their good and bad but they're both fine processors. :)
  • Options
    I'd not buy from Currys or PC World. John Lewis have better customer service and the price will be the same.

I'd also question, why do you need a laptop? If there is space in your uni for a tower and you won't actually be walking around with a laptop (which despite the name, manufacturers tell you to put it on a table), and you'll be getting a lift home off parents then a tower represents much better value for money, they're generally more reliable, more powerful and upgradeable.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I'd not buy from Currys or PC World. John Lewis have better customer service and the price will be the same.

I'd also question, why do you need a laptop? If there is space in your uni for a tower and you won't actually be walking around with a laptop (which despite the name, manufacturers tell you to put it on a table), and you'll be getting a lift home off parents then a tower represents much better value for money, they're generally more reliable, more powerful and upgradeable.
    What if you want to just go home for a weekend? I would never ever suggest a tower for a uni student even if it is better value - it's all about mobility even if you only need to take it to the library a couple of times or a weekend back home.

NAUN - stay away from Toshiba. Both the ones I had were less than great. But saying that, both HPs I've had have been very good. This one is awesome (but it was also £700 and so I don't think you would want to go near it ;)).

Incidentally, Rich is going to sell my old one for about £250 if you're interested. It's 15", 160GB hard drive and he's gonna completely wipe it. I don't know all the rest of the details but it ran everything fine. I only got rid of it because it stopped playing WoW properly, but if you're using it for uni work that won't matter to you. PM me if you want :).
  • Options
    Notanotherusername - you'll need to weigh the post-sales services of each manufacturer as well. Even if you do buy from a high street shop, be prepared to make phonecalls yourself to the manus and couriers.

HP? No thanks. Speaking to an Indian call centre is enough to put me off a sale. Toshiba do have UK call centres and they will turn a faulty laptop around within 5 working days, although they usually did it in 3 days for me, being a long-time technician myself. Acer are more of a lottery - yes, they also have UK call centres but their turnaround can be anything between 3 days and 3 months.
  • Options
    ahhh so much to think about! Well someone i know just bought the HP one so i'm gonna see what they think of it before i make a decision! and thanks Franki i'll keep that laptop in mind if i can't find one :)
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

HP? No thanks. Speaking to an Indian call centre is enough to put me off a sale.

I wouldn't go that far. I had a problem with my HP printer a few months ago (one of my own making). I rang HP up, because the thought of messing around with getting a repair at the shop e.t.c. put me off, the guy wasn't British but he was certainly helpful and understandable. He talked me through a couple of solutions that didn't work.
    He then said, don't worry about it, and sent me another one in the post. I asked him what to do with the old one, and he just said "we'll trust you to send it back, we'll send you a free postal order with the new printer".
    Few days later, I had a new printer.

I've got a HP pc as well, and it's the only PC I've ever had that has consistently worked without problems, came with loads of cool little features and despite being a year old is still as fast/powerful as anything coming out on the market.