Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

unhealthy eating disorer habbits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right what im going to sound quite strange or odd but i need to tell someone..

i suffered from anorexia three years ago and after going through cousnling and in patient treatment for about a year and half i was discharged and i have kept a healthy weight ish since then with not much bad habits except for this one..
I tend to eat quite healthly in the week and do an average about of exericise, but i tend to lose a couple of pound by sunday (or i try to ) and then on sunday i have a complete big binge while everyone is upstairs. I just eat loads of junk such as chocolate bars, sweets, bread and butter, and the list goes on... pretty much anything in the house just so then on monday my weight is back up to what it should kinda be
i know this isnt healthy but i keep looking at it as its just the one day off where i eat loads like someone having a takeaway one night?
should i try to get out of the habit?
any ideas or helpful advice please
:) xx

Comments

• Options
    do you think if you didnt deprive yourself all week, then you wouldnt get the urge to binge so badly
  • Options
    i dont know.... i dont completley deprive my self... i mean i still have puddings such as ice cream cones or eat smart sponge puddings etc..
    i used to do it loads on sundays because it was always before weight in day and i was scared about losing weight... but i dont get weighed anymore i do it my self but i cant stop it :/
    xx
  • Options
    is there anymore advice for me please?
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Carzyjade93 :wave:

We're really pleased that you have been able to come to the boards to talk about what's going on for you. Seems like this eating habit is worrying you, particularly as you have suffered from anorexia in the past. You have come a long way since then and it's really positive that you have been able to address most of your habits and are able to recognise that you may need some help to conquer this last one.

The first place that we would signpost you too is the page we have on binge eating, some of this information may be of some use to you - also check out the 'next steps' and 'related articles' links on the right hand side.

Binging of any substance or activity is not a recommended practice. We would always advise that you try to eat a balanced diet. Lots of people do allow themselves to eat less healthy and larger quantities of food at the weekend as a treat, but it seems like your motivation is different. You have spoken about purposefully trying to loose weight through the week, to purposefully put it all back on in one day to maintain your weight. As you have said - this isn't healthy, for your mind or body.

Seems that you are mirroring an old habit and that you want to keep it hidden from those around you too. How would it feel to talk to those that you trust about this? Also, are there any techniques you learnt in counselling or treatment that may be able to help? You may also want to consider going back to see your GP / Doctors / counsellor to run it by them too?

Again, you have made some really big, positive changes to your life 3 years ago and we're really pleased you've sought out some advice. Hopefully this is the beginning of finding the right support and advice you need to get over this hurdle.

Take care and keep posting - :)
  • Options
    Heya,
    I do that as well. Well at the moment mine is really bad and im starting to restrict again as i have eaten crap this week and really need to lose some weight. I was in hospital for 3/4 weeks only 2 weeks ago. I would go back to your gp if you can?? I am trying to do this at the moment as i know that i have triggered thoughts in my head to only have 3 hot chocolates a day again which is why i ended up in hospital. I basically didn't eat for 2 weeks. how are you feeling atm?? xx
  • Options
    Thankyou for that reply from the moderator... im happy that people understand what i do.. i thought people would think i was werid because obivisouly people with anorexia usually dont eat or just heathly.

Flower123.. i hope you are okayy and are getting the help you need as its not fun being in hospital.. i know from my own personal experience. I am feeling okayy at the moment.. but then again it isnt sunday yet so i dont know how i am going to be that day because thats my binging day. I try not to lose weight in the week but i just seem to not know what actually is a healthy diet anymore :( so i tend to eat fewer calories than my bodies needs and then it adds up and i lose weight! its so annoying :(

i hate having this eating disorder and the habits that come with it :'(
    thankyou again for the advice
    x
  • Options
    I do something like that. I tend to eat one meal a day during the week and at the weekends eat more, and it goes in a cycle. I wouldn't say it's a problem yet though.

I hope you are ok on Sunday. :)
  • Options
    sounds like ur describing my life! :) i can't actually remember what i eat but i always think that it is way to much!!!!! I hate my body and just want to weigh less than i do - but i know on the other hand, that when i went into hospital i was really ill....although i hate them for making me eat i know that i had to otherwise i was told that i would die so yeh i kinda had to. i hope that you are ok on sunday :). xx
  • Options
    ahhh its sunday :( and its starting all again
    this is my last sunday binge! im gonna start a new fresh on monday!
    ive got too :(
    im going to go and see connexions... though i dont want to tell my mum or anyone

i dont want to think i have gone back to square one... though they already think i need help becuase some of my other habits are slowly slipping back :(
    xx
  • Options
    Well done for accepting you have a problem and well done for posting. Don't be afraid to seek help, so often people think they are idiots or whatever and it's not the case. :)
  • Options
    thats a good decision to start new - i tried to start new with all of my eating but it ain't happened - i am restricting but it ain't dangerous atm cause my mate it good at keeping an eye on me and making sure that i eat. Im just really annoyed atm as i got distracted and now the lentils for the soup are burnt - but its like i don't even know when i need to check things anymore especially food etc - i just don't have the desire to eat - although i know that some of it is in my mind - my body has just got used to my eating habits - well they are erratic so yeh. Its better to get help though as they maybe able to see it quicker than you. I know that im not well again but i have to tell them as they are all new professionals for me.....slightly scary though but i shall be ok. Don't tell anyone until you are ready :)
    hope that you are feeling better today xxx