Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

abnormal pap smear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
apologies if there are a ton of questions like this one posted in the forum already. i searched but did not find any.

my doctor's office called and told me that my pap test had come back with low grade abnormalities and that i would have to come in for a colposcopy and biopsy.

my question is how many people have dealt with this, what was the colposcopy/biopsy like (how much pain, etc should i be looking for) and what were the results.

thanks for sharing. still a little nervous.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ellie,

Thanks for your post. This is an issue that affects many women and it is good that you are able to share your experiences with everyone here, despite feeling quite nervous about it all.

Cervical Screening (smears) on women have increased and many women are being asked to return for the colposcopy procedure. Cell 'abnormalities' can be caused by anything from the HPV virus to hormone changes. The colposcopy procedure is usually just a precautionary measure to check everything out. NHS Direct have some great information on colposcopy's and how it is performed etc. It may be worth checking it out? Also, you may want to return to your GP to ask them any questions you have.

We wish all the very best, keep posting to let us know how you get on. Take care - :)
  • Options
    there are a fair few people who have gone through this on here, me and another poster have had one recently hehe.

i had my colposcopy about a month ago now and i dont want to scare you or anything but i personally hated it. it was really uncomfortable and i cried! :| but i think it was mainly because i had a trainee doctor doing it and instead of it taking 20 minutes, it took 45, by which point i was getting really fed up.

it mainly feels like a smear test but longer, they paint some acid/vinegary stuff inside you that shows up any abnormal cells and that stings a bit, but not too bad. when they took the actual biopsies it did hurt, it nips and and i cried out a little bit.

obviously though this is only my experience, i know people who have had it done who say it doesnt hurt at all. also it might be slightly different because im guessing you are in the US as you called it a pap smear so it could be a little different there.

after id had it done i had to wait 2-3 weeks for the results of the biopsies and now i have to go and have the cells removed by laser, which im not really looking forward to.

but try and not worry about it too much, it will be fine im sure :] and its better to get it sorted now rather than later.
  • Options
    thank you to both posters. i appreciate it. i am in the us so a little different, but not much :) my doctor is great and i've been seeing her for about 10 years now, so hopefully that part will be ok.

thanks again for sharing your story, i'll be sure to check your post out and let you know how my test turns out!
  • Options
    I've had quite a few colposcopys over the last 8 years and to be honest i find them easier than smear tests esp if you get a good doctor. Keep in mind if you have a good doc who is trained in gynae then they should be pretty quick at doing the tests.
    Had a couple of biopsys done and they just seemed like a quick sharp nip and then done. It's different for everyone but honestly don't be worried. Low level abnormalities are very common nowadays due to things like the pill etc. so try not to stress too much. They will either leave them or treat them as FF above has said.