Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Declaring Mental Health Issues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there,

as some of you know, I've had a long-term battle with depression and am currently taking anti-depressants. Thing is, I'm thinking about maybe going to uni and the UCAS form asks for disabilities, including these sort of things. Now, if I don't declare it, would it be seen as lying if it came out? Also, if I did declare it, would I be ruining my chances? I'm wondering the same thing for job application forms etc.

Comments

• Options
    They can't discriminate against you like that. put your anxieties aside because it's ok. it's fine. go for it.
  • Options
    Even if it's training to be a teacher though? I mean, I'm not insane or anything, or in any way danger to children, but considering how hot they are on who they let work with children these days, I'm not convinced depression would be seen as a good quality.
  • Options
    so so so many people have depression and if you would be no danger to yourself or others then they cannot discriminate against you. infact it might mean you get extra support whilst training to become a teacher.
  • Options
    As far as higher education goes, declare, declare, declare.

It gets detached from the part of your form that gets considered so won't affect your chances in anyway, but the tag gets flagged to the disability department at the university so you can get any support you need.

Win all round.
  • Options
    Ah, okay then. That's reassuring. Thanks everyone for the advice.
  • Options
    I think the check for teachers etc is more about criminal convictons etc, i know that when i went to uni, i declared i have depression/anxiety and i did get loads of support. I've declared it on most of my jobs also, so i get some reasonable adjustments.
  • Options
    Now, if I don't declare it, would it be seen as lying if it came out?
    How would the truth come out unless you told someone? :confused:
  • Options
    As far as higher education goes, declare, declare, declare.

It gets detached from the part of your form that gets considered so won't affect your chances in anyway, but the tag gets flagged to the disability department at the university so you can get any support you need.

Win all round.

that's what i meant with the whole higher education thing.. i know because i went through this. i wasn't really clear about it before. but yeah, should be ok. :thumb: