Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Death of an old friend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Really sorry to hear your news :(

Death is horrible in any situation, but when people commit suicide it can be even harder to come to terms with. My sisters best friend committed suicide afew days before my sisters 18th birthday. It really messed with my sisters head, I remember one night our letter box flapping in the wind and she came into my bedroom to sleep with me, she was convinced it was her friend banging and banging at the door and the noise and dark really freaked her out. It was not a nice time.

I can't really offer any advice but to say I'm really sorry and you should speak about how you feel and not bottle it up. Your friend wouldn't want you hurting like this and there was nothing you could have done. Try to remember the good times when you think of your friend and remember they chose to die. He might not have seemed depressed but sometimes it is so hard to detect, people often cover up how they are really feeling and it makes it harder then at times like this.
  • Options
  • Options
    oh no, thats tragic. ((hugs))
  • Options
    You hadn't seen eachother for years, there was nothing you could have done and you cannot blame yourself! It's hard enough when you are grieving without putting added pressure on yourself because of the circumstances. You keep talking about your own feelings/memories/thoughts, what exactly are these? I honestly believe that if he wanted to kill himself then nothing you could have done/said would have stopped that. I think it might help if you spoke to people more closer to him recently so you can possibly understand abit more about how he had been feeling lately, although be sensitive as no doubt they will also be feeling guilty.
  • Options
    I just wanted to say I'm really sorry to hear that girl_afraid :( It's natural to feel guilty, I think it's part of grieving but like Fruit Loop says there isn't anything you could have done.
  • Options
  • Options
    :( how are you feeling now?

are you able to speak to others who knew your friend? i'm sure it's hitting everyone hard. also it might help talking about her and sharing memories.
  • Options
    I think you need to seek some support, speak to your GP (I have been looking back at your recent threads/posts). There are people who can help!
  • Options
    Wow, id be totally destroyed if one of my friends commited suicide :(

-big hugs!!-
  • Options
    Hi Girl-Afraid,

How are things for you today? We're really glad that you are able to come here to vent. Keep posting.

:)