Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Starting to SH Again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:banghead: Tried to send this yesterday and sent it to the wrong board. Hum, may take me a few posts to figure this out.

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and not sure what to say or how much to share. Over the past couple of months I have started SH again. I did not harm myself for a couple of years and one day I started and now can't stop.

I beginning work on DBT, but in the meantime I am doing a number on myself. I have found digging into my skin as a coping mechanism when my husband does something that upsets me. He is a good guy, but has his opinions and shares them with me when he knows I completely differ in how I feel. Also, if I do the slightest thing wrong and he says anything I start scratching (or rather digging). Should he say anything to me no matter how small I dig. I have to stop this.

Right now he is cleaning my bird's room (I have parrots) and I know he is going to be mad at me because I let the room get wayyyy too bad. I haven't cleaned it in over a week. They are my birds and it is my responsibility, I didn't do it, but when he says something I know what I will do and I really do not want to. I should go down and help him, but I know he will be mad at me, so I want to stay away so I don't hurt myself.

How do I stop this cycle without going into ED mode?

Comments

• Options
    Talk to him. If he loves you, he will help you in a useful way. Not just shout.
    X
  • Options
    Hi nimporte :wave:

Glad you've found your way to thesite and had the courage to post.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time at the moment, you've done really well. Are you getting any support or have you been able to talk to anyone about the way you're feeling? If you feel able to it could be worth talking to your GP.

Thesite has some great information about self harm, take a look at coping tips and distractions. Maybe try some of the suggested alternatives to the digging.

If you haven't already please take a look around the boards too and keep posting :heart:
  • Options
    This is day five with no SH. I am feeling good and if nothing upsets me I think I can make it another day.
  • Options
    nimporte wrote: »
    if nothing upsets me I think I can make it another day.

That's NOT the attitude to have. But well done for going five days.

You can make it another day. Even if you think it's a lie, you must tell yourself that you can do it.
    Good luck!! And if you feel stressed, have some "me" time. Take a bubble bath, or have a cuppa...
    Xx