Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reducing Self-Harm Scarring

A good few months ago I fell into the trap of self-harm. And tbh I have been in there ever since. It mainly started during exam time, with pushy teachers all demanding perfect grades. Stress caused me to take blunt scissors to my upper leg and stratch away at the skin. Self-harm ued to be something that horrified me until my current boyfriend (we were friends at the time) told me of his past, which included self-harm and sucide.

Things gradually got worse, and I found myself crying myself to sleep every night. I started cutting my upper thigh with a cosmetic blade. Things became slightly better but I still continued to cut, always in the same place.

So to come back to the whole point of this thread. I havent cut in a week or so, but I am now ashamed of my scars, some of which are visible when i wear shorts etc. Just wondering if anyone had any advice on reducing how obvious they are. some are around 6 months old now but are still obvious enough to make me worry

Thanks in advance if someone can help.x
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling stressed out and in the 'trap' of self-harm. However, you've done amazingly well not to self harm for a week. This is really positive and something to try to remain focussed on.

It's really good that you post on these boards and have found Thesite as a source of support.

You mentioned crying a lot at night and cutting with a blade and that things have only got slightly better. Have you ever spoken to anyone else about these feelings? Do you talk to your boyfriend about it? You may find it useful to speak to your GP, you could also mention your scars and see what they say about that too?

Thesite has a lot of information on self harm, you may want to scroll to the bottom of the page and check some of the pages out? They might help you to get a better idea of what is happening for you at the moment? The pages on scars and treatments may be of particular interest to you?

Take care and keep posting, let us know how you get on - :)
  • Options
    cocoa butter is meant to help apparantly.

:)
  • Options
    bio oil for stretch marks helps really well on scars, ALSO, exfoliating with a hard impliment (idk the real name for it lol) and exfoliating wash helps fade the scars and scabs!