Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Coming out as gay/Bi

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if theres a thread like this!

I just wanted to know how you came out to your parents? and how old you were?

Thanks.
X

Comments

• Options
    I told my parents when I was just 14. I still hadn't had any sexual experience by then but I knew what I was from an even earlier age.
  • Options
    I don't think i could come out to my parents!

You planning to?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I told my parents when I was just 14. I still hadn't had any sexual experience by then but I knew what I was from an even earlier age.

What did you say?? I really want to tell my mum... but I can't find the words. I was thinking of waiting till I have a serious girlfriend, then saying something like "mum, I want you to meet my girlfriend" but I know my mum will get really annoyed at me... She's always said she'd hate a gay daughter.

But I'm not to fussed about my mum, it's more my friends. A lot of them are homophobic and I really couldn't deal with that. But I want to be honest. Right now I am just not into boys at all, and I don't think I will be for a few years. But I don't want to be single. :chin: It's really hard.

X
  • Options
    Well, I thought my friends would cast me out but i was drunk and blurted out that i got off with a girl...and quickly told them it was a dare. I don't know what they think but they are fine with me. So it might not be that bad. :)
  • Options
    Well, I thought my friends would cast me out but i was drunk and blurted out that i got off with a girl...and quickly told them it was a dare. I don't know what they think but they are fine with me. So it might not be that bad. :)

Oh god I hope your right! I'm going to talk to Levi tomorrow and see what he thinks (he is the most gay-est person EVER. But you have to love him!)

I don't know a lot of my friends very well, so if I only told a few do you think it would be okay? Or should I tell all of them? :nervous: oohh god. I really need to tell them though, I don't like pretending to be straight.
    X
  • Options
    I was thinking of waiting till I have a serious girlfriend, then saying something like "mum, I want you to meet my girlfriend"

I wouldnt do this if i were you. She'd probably feel like you had been going behind her back
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I wouldnt do this if i were you. She'd probably feel like you had been going behind her back

Yeah, good point actually. Ah! this is hard. I might not tell my mum but tell some friends. I've known for like 2 years I'm bi, and it's getting quite hard to hide. Espaically because people say like "oh, that's so gay." And I just sit there and grit my teeth.
    X
  • Options
    I don't know a lot of my friends very well, so if I only told a few do you think it would be okay? Or should I tell all of them? :nervous: oohh god. I really need to tell them though, I don't like pretending to be straight.
    X

well...do you have to tell them. I mean if you don't know them that well it might be a bit werid to just come out with it. but its up to you

I've known most my friends since i was like 6 and i only told the girls (as it was a gilrs drunk night) and we are a very close bunch.
  • Options
    Espaically because people say like "oh, that's so gay." And I just sit there and grit my teeth.
    X

It doesn't bother me when people say that. I mean they (or most the time) are making no reference to gay people. Its just progression with the meaning of words (not a very good one but still)
  • Options
    well...do you have to tell them. I mean if you don't know them that well it might be a bit werid to just come out with it.QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I don't think I'll tell the year 8's because they wont accept it, I know that. Hmmm there's a lot to think about.

Pros:

They will know who I really am
    I will be able to tell who really likes me (because they'll still be my friend)
    I'll be able to make new friends
    It'll make me feel better

Cons:
    They might hate me
    I'll get bullied
    I might not be able to get a girlfriend because I don't know any other bi girls

Oh. This is hard! If I knew what to say it might be easier, but I don't even know what I'd say.
    X
  • Options
    mmm well. It depends do you think they would spread it? I mean it is pritty socialy accepted now. I mean I know quite a few bi/gay people. and no one ever bothers them.

If you do tell them i wouldn't make a big deal of it, just kinda say it casualy.
  • Options
    I would either get drunk if I had to do it in person or send my mum a text-when I knew I wasnt going to see her for months. Id let my mum tell my dad. :D

I am such a wuss, I should man up and do it properly.
  • Options
    For some reason or another we were discussing sexuality at the dinner table and my mum said she'd never met a lesbian. After pointing out some people who I knew that she knew who are lesbians I then came out with 'Would you like to hear something else? I'm bisexual.'

I was 17, my brother choked, my dad asked me if I'd ever slept with a woman and my mum asked me how long I'd known.

I'm a bit blunt and to the point sometimes which won't work for everybody but my uncle is gay and they don't have a problem with that so I figured they'd probably not have a problem with me. Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Well I told Levi today... I said "Levi, I really don't know what I should do, I'm bisexual and..."
    I didn't get any further because I was iterupted by Levi going "YYAAAYYY" and handing me a lolly. So, yeah, that was okay :D I knew he wouldn't mind, but I was pretty impressed I said it. I also told Ellen who's one of my best friends. She was okay about it, but was abit worried that I fancied her. I don't fancy her, and after I'd told her that she was alrightish. I think she was slightly freaked out though. We are still friends I think.

But, I spent most the day with Levi and have actually had a really good day.
    X
  • Options
    Why is it when people find out you are bi they assume you fancy them?
    When you are straight you don't fancy all men so why is it assumed you fancy everything if bi?! /rant
  • Options
    I guess everyone I tell will be like that then... I'm not telling all my friends, but I know a few bi's in my school now. So I'm quite happy I'm not alone.. I mean, I knew I wasn't but actually knowing other people makes it easier. :-)
    X
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Why is it when people find out you are bi they assume you fancy them?
    When you are straight you don't fancy all men so why is it assumed you fancy everything if bi?! /rant

haha yeah i have a friend that thinks any bi/gay woman will jump on/fancy her and 'turn her'. yep she IS that big headed.