Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Perception of young parents

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
What's yours?

Victoria is a young mum and she has some interesting insights.

Be good to hear your views. :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my mum had me when she was 19, and is younger than some of the users on here (shes 32) and I've already had 2 pregnancy tests....

So, I have nothing agaisnt young mums SO LONG AS THEY CAN COPE I think for the saftey of some children, and their parents (young or old) people need to help out. And in some cases, the children will need to be put in care.
    X
  • Options
    quite a lot of the girls i went to school with had kids young, in fact, generally if you left before the end of 6th year, you were gonna get pregnant, and some of them are great mums, but others seem like they couldn't less about it, in fact one girl commented that when she left school she was "gonnae get up the duff and live off the benefits"

I dont think you can make any snap judgements on young mums, cause some of them are the best mums in the world, but others aren't, but you get that at any age
  • Options
    :yes: I don't agree with under 16s trying to get pregnant..... My heart goes out to those young mums who wern't trying to get pregnant, espaically if the contreception (sorry bout spelling) didn't work. But they keep the child, and look after it as best they can.
    X
  • Options
    Oh sorry do you want me to change my post to cut out your quote?
    X
  • Options
    haha yeah i worried that came across as a bit dickish, and very clearly identifiable, at least to anyone who went to my school lol
  • Options
    I just think its a shame when people are so eager to give their youth up.
    A young age doesnt make someone a bad parent necessarily, but I think its more likely to be a shock to the system.
    I have a friend whos just had her first baby at 20 and is really struggling as its not like she thought it would be. hasnt slept for more than an hour and a half at a stretch for 6 weeks. I just looked at her and thought its like a child with a child. She was looking after the baby alright, but I still thought it was a shame, even though she had wanted to have a baby.
    Its hard enough when youre older
  • Options
    I just think its a shame when people are so eager to give their youth up.
    A young age doesnt make someone a bad parent necessarily, but I think its more likely to be a shock to the system.
    I have a friend whos just had her first baby at 20 and is really struggling as its not like she thought it would be. hasnt slept for more than an hour and a half at a stretch for 6 weeks. I just looked at her and thought its like a child with a child. She was looking after the baby alright, but I still thought it was a shame, even though she had wanted to have a baby.
    Its hard enough when youre older

I agree. I think there are great young mums out there but I think understandably it is going to put a lot of pressure on say a 16 year old who has just had a baby. Biologically they are going through hormonal changes yet somehow they have to put that aside to raise a kid. It's obvious there will be some difficulty. Rather than condemning young mums and assuming they are all bad. The difficulties need to be recognised and more support needs to be offered.
  • Options
    Someone who's a good mum as a teenager will usually be a better mum when they're in their 20s and have a bit more life experience. And someone who's a crap mum in her 20s will have been a car crash in her teenage years.
  • Options
    loads of friends from my school have had children (we're all about 20). A few people in particular stick out as they are still with the father, and have still completed A levels and gone onto uni part time. This is surely a success, and the children look happy too!
    A few others I would be less sure about though. But it depends on the person. Mothers in their 20's/ 30's would be the same though, some would cope, others wouldn't. Everyone is different.
    I have no problem with it as long as they make an effort :thumb:
  • Options
    Someone who's a good mum as a teenager will usually be a better mum when they're in their 20s and have a bit more life experience. And someone who's a crap mum in her 20s will have been a car crash in her teenage years.

I think this is absolutely true.

I also think it's important to make a distinction between the teens who get pregnant accidentally and decide to keep the baby, and those who choose motherhood for themselves. I have a lot of respect for the former, especially the ones who go on to make a decent life for themselves and their children, but I cannot understand anyone choosing to have a baby while they are still children themselves.

Of course, when you're young you think you're terribly grown up and mature and able to handle it all, but I find it totally wrong, and actually a little bit frightening. Especially when many of them simply do not have the means to support a family. Not to mention the parts of their life they'll miss out on!
  • Options
    The reality is the small amount of money they receive has to pay for equipment like cots, prams, nappies and clothes, as well as food, bills, and any extra costs like childcare. There's little, if any, margin for luxuries.

Yeah right.
    When they have their baby, mums aged 16 to 18 can claim a maximum of £112.56 in benefits per week, whereas mothers aged 18 and over can get £124.16 per week

Pretty good earner after the JSA and Housing.
  • Options
    Well there is a lass I work with, is 19 years old, has a 3 year old. Though she is a bloody good parent, has her son live with her, and works bloody hard to keep things together. Funnily enough in a way that the "ideal" parent would be expected. Which is completely the opposite to how I see other young parents with crappy or no jobs. Im not saying they are all like that, but too many of them are and dont give a toss.
  • Options
    Ever watched Maury? Well if you haven't, it's like Jeremey Kyle in America. But there was an episode of girls, who were like 12/13/14 and trying to get pregnant. They gave them a baby for a few hours and by the end of the show none of them wanted children.

It's wrong to want/have a baby just because they are cute ect. but that is the reason a lot of teen's have children. Having said that though, I don't agree with abortion... So. I guess, Just wear a condom.
    X
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Yeah right.

Pretty good earner after the JSA and Housing.

Is that a joke? Thats the equivelent of making 2.8 pounds an hour working full time. Unless these other benefits are just exuberant, I doubt you could easily or comfortably support one person off that, let alone a terribly expensive child. If you do see these teen mothers with the decked out babies, you honestly believe they have bought it all solely from government assistance?

A quick google search and several sites state that the average cost of a child a month is around 730 pounds, luxuries not included.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »

A quick google search and several sites state that the average cost of a child a month is around 730 pounds, luxuries not included.

I know parents, young and old who don't pay anywhere near that to look after their kids. Instead they blow it on fags and booze.

Some young people make brilliant parents, some older ones make awful parents.
  • Options
    That is why I said the average... and it was just a number I came across. I know there are plenty of people out there who over do it or neglect their children.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think age is a factor in how much a parent loves their child, which above all is the most important thing. Who is the best parents - the 30 year old business people who leave their kids at the nursery or the 16 year olds who make sure they spend as much time with the child as they can?

Seen a film a while back called 'To Courtney With Love' about a 14 year old mother with terminal cancer. Was a real eyeopener. I cried. :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I don't think age is a factor in how much a parent loves their child, which above all is the most important thing. Who is the best parents - the 30 year old business people who leave their kids at the nursery or the 16 year olds who make sure they spend as much time with the child as they can?

You're right, love is the most important thing. But I wouldn't agree with time with the child showing the most love.

What about a 16-year-old parent who leaves their child in a nursery full time so they can carry on at school, get qualifications and then a decent job to make sure that child is provided for? I'd say that shows a lot more love.
  • Options
    I just wanted to add in my own assumption of why some teens decide to have babeis at a young age. Those that come from tough home lives seem to be more at risk. I can see the appeal, girls who are scared about the future and uncertain about what they want to do- having a baby provides if you like a 'fixed' job for life. It also gives them another being that is going to love them unconditionally. I might not agree with girls deciding to have babies so young but I can easily see the presupposed idea and attraction that would make a vulnerable young teen want and actively decide to get pregnant.
  • Options
    There certainly is a lot of bullshit doing the rounds on this issue. Many years ago, it was perfectly normal for women to have babies by the time they were 21 or so. Nowadays, women are almost ostracised for doing so. Presumably this is because of the lie repeatedly fed to women that having a child means pretty much the end of attaining anything for yourself. This line is drivel - if you have a child, you can still work, you can still get yourself some qualifications or the like if you want to. Indeed, having a child can often make someone aspire to be a better person than they are.

Besides, age is almost irrelevant when it comes to deciding who's going to be the better parent. A woman who has a child when aged 30 could still end up being a crap mother
  • Options
    Having children ruins lives. If you want to do it sooner rather than later that's your business. :chin:

Frankly I think that people who are older are more able to provide a stable household for their children but that's just a generalization. Also, it can help if you have a close network of family in the area that are willing to lend a hand.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    if you have a child, you can still work, you can still get yourself some qualifications or the like if you want to.

You can, but having a baby to look after doesn't make it any easier.
    Indeed, having a child can often make someone aspire to be a better person than they are.

That is definitely true. I've known more than one person whose life was in the toilet and they got their act together and made something of themselves once they had a child to look after.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    There certainly is a lot of bullshit doing the rounds on this issue. Many years ago, it was perfectly normal for women to have babies by the time they were 21 or so.

yeah but back then, people were also married for life by that age.
    Its not the same set up now at all. Most people having babies young now, are pretty much choosing to go into single parenthood, which although it can work well, is not an ideal situation at all for neither the person doing all the parenting alone, nor the child
  • Options
    I have to admit I don't have a good perception of young parents. It's not a blanket generalisation I have to say, and I don't see a young parent and think 'ugh, terrible' - but in terms of trends I think a lot of parents aren't as cut out for it as in the past. This is speaking from close experience, too.

I guess it's always been a problem though. But at least 50 years ago even the poorest mums (dads didnt really do cooking) would make an effort to cook for their kids, these days its easy to cop out with mcdonalds, every day.

Where mums will sit on facebook chainsmoking whilst pretty much ignoring their kids, letting them wander around the house and pull vases over and nearly get themselves killed. It's just that lack of common sense that makes my blood boil. I guess the generalisation is that more young parents are likely to be in this group than older parents due to socioeconomic factors (no money, less educated) and also just less life experience / time to sort out their priorities.