Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Personal calls... do you reckon I'm in trouble?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a good employee I never surf the net when I should be working and, up until Thursday, never make personal calls.

Thursday however was dull as crap, I was going away that night and needed to call my friend to check a few details and it was literally for ... 30 seconds?

So I called from my work phone, a-oked the details and hung up. Continued, what little I had, work I was doing.

Other people in the office make a shit load of personal calls, quite openly in fact and surf ASOS.com and browse websites all day.

Come Friday morning, I was camped in a field with my best friend and her phone rang. She missed the call and rang back and it was my work place switchboard.

So someone is either going ON my phone or in my phone records and calling numbers back. Are they checking up on me? Why would they do that? I make around 25/40 phone calls a day (I'm in telesales) and suddenly they seem to call the ONE personal number I rang!

Can I get into a lot of trouble for this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really wouldnt worry, it's probably nothing. why would work be bothered about your one personal call when everybody else makes them all the time as you say. If anything does come of it just admit everything if questioned and i highly doubt they can fire you for it
    It's not about everybody else though. One time in college I got a warning for surfing the net/talking on msn when I never went on them once. The only reason why is because I did my work in the fraction of time it took the others and just sat there bored out of my skull. The only site I visited at the time were the Official WoW forums. Hardly browsing the web/using MSN. As far as I can tell, no one else got a warning for it.

I wouldn't worry unless you get called in to your boss or whatever.
    Well I wasn't pulled up on it today... so I should be in the clear. We have a new manager sniffing around though who suddenly wanted to dual call with me this morning when I'm attempting to catch up with what's happened whilst I was of.

Was probably just her being nosey.
    I really really wouldn't worry about it. I'm in the same industry and you wouldn't get pulled on it. Worst they can say is to ask permission from a team leader before making personal calls.
    you'd probably be warned about it in the first place before any other action was taking. we had an email round the other day about our work mobiles setting out exactly what we're allowed to use and what they'll investigate.
    Depends who you work for.

In one of my jobs, no personal calls were allowed. Absolute tosser!

But my current job is a breeze, Id hate to see my phone bill. I use it instead of my personal mobile, nobody seems to care. Its only tax payers money at the end of the day :D
    You shouldn't use your works phone to make personal calls. Outgoing mobile calls are fine as long as it's a quiet period. Incoming calls from Mum, doctor, hospital, holiday arrangement, again fine as long as it's quick. My work will allow in/out-going personal calls on mobiles but they encourage texts as the primary form of personal communication. Personal emails in Outlook are OK as long as they're in a sub-folder called "personal". Net-wise, I can get away with BBC News, Wikipedia, Overclockers and Tech Republic but Facebook and Youtube is taking the piss.
    I don't have internets at work :( and no personal emails either! :( and no phones! (well, they are not meant to be on in the building) it's just workkk :(
    My old work allowed access to bbc news pages, as we sometimes needed to look at historical data on our servers, and if there was unusual activity, see if it corresponded to a sporting event in that area.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Its only tax payers money at the end of the day :D

Which does include you :banghead:
    Which does include you :banghead:

So I might as well make the most of it. :thumb:
    Calvin wrote: »
    So I might as well make the most of it. :thumb:

Haaa one of THOSE. ;)