Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Options...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I graduated two years ago.

The year after I graduated I had a lot of interviews for good jobs, but didn't quite get there, but did voluntary work at the same time.

Since last September I have worked most of the time in France and loved it - got back a month ago.

I did a languages degree (French) and love travel too.

I'm 24 now, but wondering whether it's best to get into a long-term job in the UK or I could, say, get a temp job and then travel for a while.

Say I got a permanent job in this country would there be the chance to take a month or two off to travel ?

I'm considering trying to get another job abroad - working abroad looks good on the cv and it's still experience.

I really enjoyed being in the south of France though - fab experience so maybe abroad is the way forward having the languages degree.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would say in the current climate, applying for both temp and perm jobs is sensible. Is your reason for thinking of working in the UK for a bit to allow you save up to go traveling again? If so, maybe you could look for work in translation over here whilst perhaps volunteering again to gain useful skills to help you if you do go abroad again and are looking for work.

Whether an employer would let you take time off to go travel would depend on the company. From my experience, it's often an option that you can take unpaid career breaks if you're working for a large organisation. I'm not sure how realistic this would be within a small company. For most jobs though you would only need to give say a months notice to quit if you decided you wanted to go traveling again,so taking a permanent job for a while wouldn't be out of the question. Another option may be to look at working for a charity and see if there's any scope for going overseas and doing work for them for a while? Also it may be worth checking out some forums on some of the graduate careers site to see if you can find people who've been in a similar position to yourself, see if they can give you any useful contacts or info.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok thanks for that. I use the prospects website, so I could have a look at that.

In the last few days it seems I might actually have a temp job for RBS which would do fine.