Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Internet Contract

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
What is the cheapest way to get the internet at home?

Is it to sign up to a contract with the likes of Virgin, BT etc and pay line rental or is it to get a dongle and do it that way through a mobile contract?

There will be 2 of us, so it would mean 2 dongles or one contract...

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If there are 2 of you, I'd go for a fixed-line contract such as BT or Virgin (like you've already said). On a fixed-line, you can share the connection using a router between both of you. For mobile internet, you need 1 dongle per person, so you'll need 2 dongles and 2 separate contracts. = more expensive.
  • Options
    Sort of. You could do mobile internet over certain smart phones that can act as wireless access points, but its reasonably techy, and can be unreliable. Simplest is probably a standard fixed line thing.
  • Options
    One great place to compare different internet possibilities is over on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

there's a great comparison of different services and you can see the forums for each provider (though naturally people who post tend to be talking about problems so take everything with a grain of salt).

I would say this though, my experience of BT was absolutely terrible...
  • Options
    i would caution against mobile dongles. i've never used one but i know that it is basically limited by the base stations capacity so your sharing a smallish amount of bandwidth with mobile phone users and other mobile internet users in a higher client:bandwidth ratio than adsl or cable internet. bt/talktalk/tiscali are adsl, bt is adsl2 now i think and virgin is cable, because they inherited infastructure from ntl.
  • Options
    The only possible reasons for EVER needing a mobile dongle is because you are mobile or because you can't physically get a connection. However the fact you can't get a landline broadband connection means the chances of you getting a 3G signal are equally poor.

Apart from that the connections are expensive. A landline is gonna cost you around £15 for a decent speed and unlimited bandwidth. I've got Sky Max on my Sky TV account, I get 16Mb, unlimited downloads for £10 a month and a reliable connection.