Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The right response?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm pretty sure I've said the sensible thing here, but just wanted confirmation I suppose...

I was at a wedding on Saturday, and my boyfriend asked me whether I wanted to get married, that he was pretty neutral on the whole issue of marriage, but he'd marry me if I wanted him to and he'd marry 'to make me happy' (!) Now, I've always tried to steer clear of wedding conversations, I don't pester him about it, when he loudly tells his mates he's never getting married, I enthusiastically join in...but he hasn't been with me 8 and a half years without knowing how my mind works, and he said he knew that when I say 'no, no, no, no' to people badgering us about if we're ever getting married it's not really what I think.

So I said that yes, whilst I was possibly a little more than neutral about the idea, there is no way on earth I'd accept a wedding proposal unless I thought he wanted it for him as well as me. I think unless both partners are enthusiastic it's a bit of a pointless exercise, and I wouldn't want to force him in to anything. Marrying me 'to make me happy' really isn't enough. So that's that sorted, at least for a while, although God knows if that was really the end of the matter - even after I told him that, he was still saying 'we'll see!' and 'I bet if I proposed now you'd say yes!'.

I did say the right thing didn't I? Whilst I know in my heart it was the sensible thing to say, I now can't help but feel a bit sad that it's never going to happen, not for us. I think I'd always told myself that marriage was one thing that would probably come after me getting a proper job - but now that daydream's kind of gone poof into thin air! But at the same time I know it wouldn't be right to go into marriage if he only feels neutral about the whole thing. Gah, doing the right thing is tricky sometimes...

Comments

• Options
    it sounds like neither of you are that fussed about getting married, but you both "wouldnt mind" either and youre both trying to gauge how the other person feels about it indirectly and without giving away how you both really feel
  • Options
    Maybe you should just come clean and be a bit more direct, as deep down you do seem to want to get married really? You've got to disclose a bit of your true feelings first to get an honest answer back from him.
  • Options
    Oh, I did say I wanted to, but not until I was certain he wanted to, that until that day arrives I'm quite happy us being as we are....