Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

calories

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am trying to lose weight so the best way for me is calories so today i have had 900 calories and i feel really proud of myself as i have not gone over and tomorrow i want to have less!!..is this good??

Comments

• Options
    yeah i went to the gym today :D and i am going to go every day :D
  • Options
    i shouldn't of read this thread...
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I would personally say 900 calories really isn't sufficent.
  • Options
    Whyy?

coz i feel like i have to beat that :/ stupid i know
  • Options
    No. 900 calories is not enough. Ever.

Helen or Jim, I'm aware that the title may be enough as it is, but just in case, if this thread gets any worse could you please put a trigger warning in the title?
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Helen or Jim, I'm aware that the title may be enough as it is, but just in case, if this thread gets any worse could you please put a trigger warning in the title?

pritty please
  • Options
    Yeh, but that's an average. Shorter people need less, taller people need more etcetc. But even still, 900 is not enough. That's....barely anything.

OP - aim for around 1500. That's enough for you to be getting proper nutrition but also low enough that you should lose weight. Then find a website which will tell you how many calories you'd need to eat to maintain your weight.
  • Options
    It really depends how big you are, and how much exercise you do, and whether you're still growing and stuff.
  • Options
    It really depends how big you are, and how much exercise you do, and whether you're still growing and stuff.
  • Options
    coz i feel like i have to beat that :/ stupid i know

you don't. you don't know this person, they have no reason to influence your life. please don't let the words of other names on a screen have a negative effect on you. it's not a competition, you don't need to prove anything to yourself, or to anyone else. you must concentrate on your own health, comparing yourself to others is pointless because there will always be someone else out there who eats less than you. be careful x
  • Options
    grace wrote: »

900 calories is not enough for a small child.
  • Options
    You need more than 900 to be healthy.
    C-A x
  • Options

You really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I'd honestly prefer it if you went away and read something, anything about nutrition before commenting as you have been.
  • Options
    Depends really, if you eat 900 calouries of a healthy balanced diet then, yes it should be fine, and aslong as you do lots of healthy exorcise.

Again - rubbish. Also eating so little AND doing lots of exercise is even worse as your body needs more energy.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    You really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I'd honestly prefer it if you went away and read something, anything about nutrition before commenting as you have been.

If you are tall, you need more calories to sustain a healthy weight. If you are growing, once again you need more calories to stay healthy. And then, the more exercise you do, the more calories you need to keep healthy.

I find 900 calories enough for me, but then I am very small, I do no exercise at all, and I am not growing.
  • Options
    If you are tall, you need more calories to sustain a healthy weight. If you are growing, once again you need more calories to stay healthy. And then, the more exercise you do, the more calories you need to keep healthy.

We know that, but there's no way that 900 calories is enough. Even a child requires more than that.
  • Options

I find 900 calories enough for me, but then I am very small, I do no exercise at all, and I am not growing.
    900 calories is not even enough for a ten year old. The recommended calorie intake for an average 10 year old is 1500. If you're eating less than that you must either be a very small dwarf or very, very stupid if you think that is healthy.
  • Options
    Ok, I admit that 900 calories probably isn't enough for most people.

I am a healthy weight.

I was speaking from experience, not because I know the technicalities of this subject.

I doubt that all of these posters do either.

I will leave well alone, yeah?

Gx
  • Options
    Ok, I admit that 900 calories probably isn't enough for most people.

I am a healthy weight.

I was speaking from experience, not because I know the technicalities of this subject.

I doubt that all of these posters do either.

I will leave well alone, yeah?

Gx

Indeed. Nutrition and exercise are something I know a LOT about. End of.
  • Options
    I'm on 1800 cal per day diet and I'm only 5" 4'. And yes, the diet is starting to work on me. Excercise helps too. If you've got Google open, look up the British Heart Foundation and they have the 1800-cal diet that I've been following.

900? I'd rather be raped by a rabid goat. 900 a day is too much sacrifice. Diet is about rewards in moderation too, to keep you motivated.
  • Options
    Re: calories

Hi magicalfairy ,

I have read your post. I think that you should have the recommended calories as per your height and age. So, I'm giving you some information about the Recommended Calorie Intake. Hope, this may help you. :)

About Recommended Calorie Intake:

Maintain Your Weight:

If, once you've reached your realistic target weight, you go back to your old eating habits and activity levels, you'll put the weight back on. It's as simple as that. Beware of 'how to be even skinnier' media messages that lure you into feeling dissatisfied. You have a life to live and enjoy, so hang on the satisfaction of being at a comfortable, healthy weight you can sustain.

* Continue to eat a balanced, lower fat diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables
    * Don't avoid any foods, just watch portion sizes and limit the amount of certain foods
    * Have three regular meals a day at regular times (starting with breakfast), and fewer snacks
    * Eat out occasionally, but limit fast food
    * Sit down to eat your meals, take time over them and pay attention to what you're eating
    * Keep 'self-monitoring' to stay conscious of your new eating and activity habits

Flexible Restraint
    Many slim people who stay that way by 'watching their weight', show flexible restraint, rather than following rigid all-or-nothing rules. They make healthy choices most of the time, but no foods are seen as forbidden. This means enjoying small amounts of favourite foods without feeling guilty. And if you do over-indulge, or have a big night out, cut back a bit or do more exercise the next day to balance things out.

Getting regular physical activity is one of the strongest indicators of long-term success. Not only does it burn calories and increase metabolism-boosting muscle, it also boosts self-esteem and beats stress. Studies show that just walking for 30 minutes or so each day, plus some other activities during the week, may be enough.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    i am trying to lose weight so the best way for me is calories so today i have had 900 calories and i feel really proud of myself as i have not gone over and tomorrow i want to have less!!..is this good??

It sounds like you need to get some proper advice about this - as mentioned by lots of other users, it's not a healthy approach to weight loss by any stretch. You might want to go to your doctors to be weighed and measured and ask her or him for some medical advice about weight loss.

Just as we insist people don't talk about their actual weight on these boards - comparing amount of calories you've consumed can also be problematic for the reasons already identified. It can lead people to compare and get a warped view of what is healthy and what isn't. Having said that, it's probably good you've mentioned you'rer eating so few as people have been able to tell you it's not enough and hopefully you can reconsider your approach.

Take care and let us know how you're getting on. :)
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I would personally say 900 calories really isn't sufficent.

i completely agree
    your metabolism will slow down and go into survival mode so that it doesn't burn too many calories.
    as a result you will get tired and unmotivated.

best not to go below 1200 calories/day, even that is bordering on too low!

also, please try not to get too obsessed with calories. i've been battling anorexia for years and there have been times when i spend 99% of my thinking energy on counting calories, it gets obsessive and it's really not worth it!!!

if you're serious about this i suggest you go see a dietitian for a once off visit, they can give you some great advice. GPs are good too.