Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling detached from the world around me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation is what i would guess, I have experienced this a lot of times, but for me it's been during councilling sessions, where the room has 'faded away' and looks all white, and the persons voice becomes faint. I also do just 'stare' sometimes, then i kinda 'wake up' ..but i think everyone does that!
  • Options
  • Options
    Hugs.

You talked to anyone about this? How are things progressing with your GP at the moment?
  • Options
  • Options
    No, 5 weeks is a long time.

Is it worth trying to get an appointment to see your GP? At least then there's someone you can talk things through with and maybe help you get more of a handle on what's going on and how you're feeling. Maybe see if you can come up with a plan of action for what to do if things get worse.

Being on a waiting list and not seeing someone for at least 5 weeks definitely isn't the best plan.
  • Options
  • Options
    If you're not confident about the antidepressants then it's definitely worth going back to your GP and talking about his suggestion some more. My understanding is that most antidepressants aren't straightforward pick me ups, so the sending you too far the other way concern probably shouldn't be an issue. But it would be good for you to talk that through with a professional.

Do also remember that your GP can do things for you other than just write prescriptions. There must be some kind of support avaliable in your area sooner than in the next 5 weeks, or at least someone you be put in touch with. If nothing else you'll get a bit of a chat about how things are at the moment with the GP.

If you're not so keen on the GP plan, then maybe a practise nurse appointment might help? Depends slightly on what the nurses at your practise do but worth considering.
  • Options
    ADs shouldn't take you too far away because they are designed largely to stop you feeling shit, not to make you feel great, so you will feel somewhere in between. If you're very concerned though, speak to your GP and they will find the best one for you.

5 weeks is a long time. I agree with what Scary said - your GP should be able to find you something else to help in the meantime.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Don't worry too much if you do, that is afterall what they're supposed to deal with!

In the meantime, don't feel you have to make it through to Tuesday without more support if you're struggling.
  • Options
    Its like dreaming awake- unreal or in medical terminology psychosis which may not be clinical though. Many people under stress with psychological unresolved underlying problems get it. May come and go or be long lasting. If the detachment from social life gets progressively worst it could lead to nervous breakdown and hospitalization. Don't want to worry anyone but thats the pattern of severe mental illness. May be just tide of social experience and your goings about- good to see a doctor and stay monitored
  • Options
    Kiwi, Don't worry about it too much, i've been living in the "twilight zone" as i call it for over 20 years, i know that sometimes it's scarey but sometimes i feel luckier than others - just sit back and 'take the ride in your stride' it's just a way of handling life !!, On another point, IS IT UNUSUAL to sneeze, fart and cough and crack two ribs ??? could this be a record ?? Do i need help ?? Where's my pills ?? Dont forget they laugh at me coz i'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same !! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  • Options
  • Options
    Psychosis - Sorry but at what point in my post did I indicate that I was suffering or experiencing a break from reality? Or for that matter, divulge enough information about myself for you to diagnosis my problems as a 'pattern of severe mental illness'?

I've been spacing out/feeling detached from the world around me; as of yet I haven't started to parade the streets in all my glory claiming to be Napoleon. However if I ever do you'll be the first to know, providing of course that the voices in my head don't tell me otherwise.....

Thing is there's a lot of overlap between mental states. Maybe dissociation is a better word to describe your description, and using words like psychosis is too extreme
  • Options
  • Options
    Psychosis, involves a break from reality; usually in the form of hallucinations or delusions. However from my understanding dissociation is a disruption in a persons functioning, whereby a persons connection with their emotions and thoughts are briefly severed.

There isn't that much of an overlap for you start using a word that carries completely different connotations.
    Mental health is a minefield- obscure and to get anywhere definite requires deep academic training. Then don't shrinks just talk and slap some sort of label on to move on with treatment. Even a psychiatrist's diagnosis is questionable. Its not an exact medicine like diagnosing lung cancer or a stroke.

How would you describe your mind issue with one word?
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not the one using labels, you did that yourself. As well as declaring that I was suffering from a 'pattern of severe mental illness', despite knowing nothing about me or my medical history. Mental illness isn't an exact medicine; therefore you wouldn't treat all cases the same; and therefore wouldn't use a word like 'psychosis' where it couldn't/didn't need to be applied!

HELL!

Well put. :yes:
  • Options
    I'm not the one using labels, you did that yourself. As well as declaring that I was suffering from a 'pattern of severe mental illness', despite knowing nothing about me or my medical history. Mental illness isn't an exact medicine; therefore you wouldn't treat all cases the same; and therefore wouldn't use a word like 'psychosis' where it couldn't/didn't need to be applied!
    Sorry- was being rash