Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hpw do I regain his trust

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I cheated early in the relationship, I hid it from him until he found out from someone else. I dont want to lose him. We are trying to get through it but closeness is painfull for both of us. like i said we talk and I know that sometimes whilst we are having sex, he is thinking he isn't good enough and comparing himself to the other person.I dont like him feeling like this and I know its my fault. Any suggestions on help for us please?

Comments

• Options
    It is sometimes quite hard when the trust is gone.
  • Options
    There is not much you can do, if you are already talking. Your words seem empty when the trust is gone. You need to show him in little pieces in everyday life that there is no reason (anymore) to not trust you. I guess you need patience and be a really exemplary partner. Won't come back from day one to day two.
  • Options
    Thanks Strubbles. He is an amazing man and why he is even still with me is a hard to grasp. I will do everything and anything to regain his trust and take his fears away. But how do I stop him from comparing himself?
  • Options
    Thanks Strubbles. He is an amazing man and why he is even still with me is a hard to grasp. I will do everything and anything to regain his trust and take his fears away. But how do I stop him from comparing himself?

not at all. wounds need time to heal. In his head he might understand that he is the one for you, but in his heart he is uneasy.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what to say. In my opinion once someone has cheated it's never the same again. The trust has gone and there is always that doubt in the back of your mind that they will do it again. Then the cheater will think that their OH is going to cheat because they cheated on them. It's a viscous circle. It can work I suppose but I don't hold out much hope. You learn from your mistakes I suppose.
  • Options
    But how do I stop him from comparing himself?
    Sounds to me like he's lost what makes him a man. He's comparing himself because he's scared he isn't man enough for you. Clearly this is true as he's already lost you to someone else once before so it's perfectly understandable for him to feel like this and the fact he's still around is a blessing and an opportunity for you to rebuild him. You owe him that if you feel he's the one for you.

Getting over an affair and the deceit of hiding it can be a huge and emotionally difficult task and since you've already cheated once, ask yourself "is he worth the bother?". Do you want to be with him? If you're not sure about all this and the work involved then do the man a favour and let him go to someone who'll give him the love he needs/deserves.

Since you mention comparing himself and not feeling good enough, I presume sex is the major problem here. What made you cheat? Is he crap in bed? Is this something that's more important than the person he is? I think there's a lot of soul searching to do on your part. You've clearly hurt him and need to ask yourself why you did that if he means that much to you. As for what to do, it's extremely difficult to make a suggestion. He needs to be picked up and feel better about how he feels. He'll see straight through you if you tell him he's magnificent in bed when it only lasted 3 minutes so you really do need to talk and open up, no matter how painful or embarrassing it maybe.

Acknowledge what the underlying problems are, the reasons for cheating, then address them in a constructive way. Remember, he's lost you once before and probably feels he could lose you again, but if you don't talk, he won't know why it happened in the first place and will start to come to his own conclusions which sounds like what's happening. The obvious problem being sex, clearly.

I hope it works out and you've learnt your lesson. Trust and love can be regained, I'm sure, but as I previously said, it's an enormous task and takes time. I'm also not sure whether a relationship can ever truly be the same again as it's always going to be there between you, the deceit, the shame, the embarrassment. Good luck, you'll need it.
  • Options
    My ex cheated on me, he was a friend before we got together and when I found out I was heartbroken, but tried to fix it.

The thing that hurt the most was finding out from someone else.
    It's been over a year and a half since we broke up, and the same amount of time since we've spoken. I honestly believe once a cheater always a cheater.

I don't want to be harsh but I don't want to lie, I don't believe it will work but if you think it will, cut out sex until you TALK IT THROUGH
    why you did it, why you regret it. don't assume he knows or it's obvious and explain why you didn't tell him

but, good luck
  • Options
    you just gotta reassure him that it was a one time mistake and that you want to be with him and no-one else. losing trust in a relationship sometimes spells the end as some people simply can forgive and move on but if the both of you are willing to work at it then who knows, hopefully things will be ok for the two of you :) the best thing to do is just talk to him and put everything out in the open
  • Options
    turboed7 wrote: »
    the best thing to do is just talk to him and put everything out in the open
    I agree with this however the OP does state she hid it from him until he found out from someone else. This is pure and simple deceit and the major side effect of this is anything that is said will be taken with a pinch of salt. Very difficult to overcome.
  • Options
    my bad, just noticed that myself :) well, all u can do is try. if he's willing to forgive u and move past it, it must be for all the right reasons and because he is able to and wants to. there's no point in forgiving something only to bring it back up a few weeks, months, years later. just gotta lay all your cards on the table and see what he says. yea, u made a mistake and you probably know now u should have just been honest with him about it but everyone makes mistakes. everyone. but its not fair on u if he says he'll get over it and in fact he can't or won't. it's make or break i'd say. i wish u all the luck in the world :)