Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blocking texts from people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have two people who keep texting me and wont leave me alone, ive only just got my number so i really dont want to have to change my number again, im on T Mobile, if i ring them, would they bar these two numbers for me?

Comments

• Options
    anyone? its quite important.
  • Options
    My manager is on T-Mobile and has been getting hassled by her ex. She called them and they said the only way was to get a new number, I'm afraid. Best bet would be to call them ans see what they say but it probably will mean a new number. However, I've found that ignoring the gits tends to make them stop after a couple of days no response, but some people are very resilient. Hope that helps some :)
  • Options
    Sorted it now got a new number :) I :heart: T Mobile, such a good network.
  • Options
    Sorted it now got a new number :) I :heart: T Mobile, such a good network.

Lucky.

For future reference, if you're recieiving malicious calls or text messages first advice would be to text the person telling them to break off contact.
    If the messages continue and you know the person doing it then contact the police.
    We can either issue them a harassment warning (if they do it again they get locked up) or we can issued them a penalty notice for misusing the communications network.

If you don't know the person doing it, then contact the police to get an incident reference. Then call your service provider who will be able to trace the number to a network and get it deactivated.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Lucky.

For future reference, if you're recieiving malicious calls or text messages first advice would be to text the person telling them to break off contact.
    If the messages continue and you know the person doing it then contact the police.
    We can either issue them a harassment warning (if they do it again they get locked up) or we can issued them a penalty notice for misusing the communications network.

If you don't know the person doing it, then contact the police to get an incident reference. Then call your service provider who will be able to trace the number to a network and get it deactivated.
    I didn't know such powerful measures are possible - are they used frequently?
  • Options
    I didn't know such powerful measures are possible - are they used frequently?

Quite often yes, the law covers harassment in any form, including face to face, phone calls, texts and even facebook e.t.c. messages.

The harassment has to be a "course of conduct" ie repeated messages, and you have to take steps to stop it before you call us, ie tell them to stop.

If the harassment is via the communications network (this includes the internet) then the person can also be fined a minimum of £80 if they are over 16 years old.

In my work in school I come across abusive MSN, Texts on a regular basis, it's always stopped when i've threatened to fine them ;)
  • Options
    Well I'm learning plenty about the law today, cheers!
  • Options
    Some handsets can bar numbers. Check through your phone options, or the manual to see if you have that option.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Some handsets can bar numbers. Check through your phone options, or the manual to see if you have that option.

I know most Samsungs offer this - my Pixon does, as does my friends U900. I'm pretty sure my Dad's Tocco does....
    My old G600 and my even older D500 did too - can't remember if my ones before that did, but its possible, I am going back at least 4 years now.... so on the off chance that you do have a Samsung, that may be an option if these idiots get hold of your new number somehow. Otherwise, like Monserrat said, check your manual (or if your like me and lost it the day you got the phone try Google :blush: ), it may be that its available somehow
  • Options
    Ive got the tocco lite, i looked through and it only bars numbers from calling, not texts, but its all sorted now so im happy :)