Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum and her sister fell out nearly 4 years ago. It was over the silliest of things, they were going out for the day, the day after the clocks went back. Before my mum went to bed she set her new alarm clock back an hour then set her alarm. In the morning her alarm went off and she got ready as normal, then she switched on the TV and saw the time on the TV and it was an hour ahead of what she thought the time to be. It turns out her clock had automatically set itself back an hour, and she had set it back an hour, so she had actually got up an hour after planned without realising. So she phoned my aunty (at this stage she wasn't aware of how this had happened it was only later she realised the clock had the automatic setting) confused and apologised that she would now end up abit late to meet up.

In the car on the way to my auntys my mum works out what happened with the clock. So she goes to my auntys house (with my grandma) and my aunty totally ignores my mum, gets in the car, and just speaks to my grandma. They go to a cafe, order some coffee and then a row erupts, my aunty starts talking about her VCR setting itself back automatically, my mum explains that this is what happened to her clock and my aunty shouts that my mums not right in her head, storms off, cancels the table they had booked at a nearby pub for lunch, goes home and thats that.

My mum has a history of depression and it really struck a cord being told by her older sister that she 'wasnt right in her head'. They haven't spoken since, except when they had a huge row last year on my grandmas birthday as they both went to my grandmas house at the same time to give her some flowers, my aunty wanted my grandma to chose which she would like to stay, my grandma was so upset and went upstairs for them to sort it out. My aunty stormed off and my mum followed, put her hand on her shoulder and said look lets try and sort this out for mum, come inside for a cup of tea. My aunty then accused my mum of assaulting her for touching her shoulder.

There is way too much for me to type here with this story, but basically all this time on my and my sister are worried about our mum. She is suffering from anxiety at the moment and for the past few days has been the best we've seen her in months, but now something has happened with my aunty again and she has taken a step back.

My sister wrote to my aunty a couple of years ago asking that they try to resolve this, she heard nothing back. They have two brothers who don't interfere as they don't want to be seen to be taking sides. This is affecting my grandma as my aunty treats her like rubbish most of the time, never rings her etc, and this is really bugging my mum as well as my grandma is an old lady and we fear she will pass away knowing her two daughters are like this and one of her daughters has no time for her. She went to a friends funeral recently whos two daughters don't talk and she said it was awful and that she knows that will happen at her funeral.

I feel like going round my auntys and giving her a piece of my mind. My sister feels the same. We just don't know what we can do to sort this out :(

Comments

• Options
    every family has it's black sheep. I guess you have to come clean with your aunty being a moron. We have a similar constellation. Most people like my grandmother and my aunt x (i have many aunts), but they don't like each other for a very silly reason too (very silly). So we visit them both seperated but never see them together. Oh well, that's how it runs.
  • Options
    Yeah I guess you're right thinking about it! I can think of loads of people I know who have issues like this with their family. I guess it's just one of those things, you can't pick your family can you! Tis a shame though. I remember when I was young and it seemed like my family was perfect, now I realise how dysfunctional it is! Just hurts knowing how upset it makes people :(