Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Finding it a little bit difficult to...slot back in

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anybody ever moved back home after a while and found it really hard to meet people, reconnect with old friends etc.

I've been back home now ...8 months? And in that time I've seen loads of people I used to hang out with when I was younger but I'm finding that a lot of them are up to the same old stuff we used to do as teenagers (in particular sitting in someone's garage smoking weed).

I'm invited along to things but as I don't smoke weed anymore and haven't been around for a while I feel a bit left out.

There have been a few people I've seen that I've thought... ooh you've got potential to be people I see quite often but one is moving to London and the other turned out to be a bit of a headcase and is now a complete agrophobic (thus difficult to get outside!)

I've been thinking about taking up an evening class or something in September and I get on with people at work and a couple of them I've been spending a bit of time with outside of work. However I'm finding myself more often than not in on a weekend with nobody I can really call or hang out with.

The only time I get to sort of let my hair down is if I go back to London and see my mates (which I can't afford to do often) or when they come down here.

Anybody got any tips to reacclimatise? I haven't got any snobbery about where we go or what we do etc but sometimes, when I am out with people down here, it's just a little bit boring.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey StarCrossed :wave:

It sounds like you're doing all the right things but it's just taking longer than you'd like to really find that good group of friends that you connect with. Moving back home or moving somewhere new can be hard when you don't have those people around that you'd ordinarily just call up whenever you feel like it. Going out and doing things can often feel like a lot more effort.

You mentioned you'd been spending more time with people at work, even if you find it a bit 'boring' it's worth pursuing. You never know who you might meet through friends of friends and in different situations. It only takes one person who you really click with and you may start to feel much more at ease and enjoy yourself.

You mentioned an evening class, have you thought about volunteering as well? Have a look over on do-it.org.uk for opportunities in your area and that's something you can do straight away, you don't have to wait until September!

Take care and good luck with everything :)