Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mobile hairdressers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My cousin is 13, and wants her hair styled and cut for her birthday, but has like a fear of the hairdressers. I really want to treat her to a haircut and stuff, cos i know thats what she wants, but other than being scared of the hairdressers, she has headlice, and im not sure what to do. She trys to get rid of them, but nothing seems to work, i was thinking of getting a mobile hairdresser to come do her hair at hers, but would they refuse to do it because of that? I would hate to think of her being all upset because of it.

Comments

• Options
    hi there,

really sorry to hear that your cousin has headlice, what treatment has she use do you know? There are types available over the counter but when you say she has tried a few I think a trip to see the gp about them not going away may help. As for the mobile hairdresser I am not sure if they would want to come in contact as human fleas bite other humans.
    Good luck
  • Options
    No they most probably won't touch her hair in fear of catching the lice and even spreading them.

Is everyone being checked for them? It's no good treating one person with them and then not checking the rest of the family. Try smoothering the hair with conditioner after washing and continously combing through the hair, repeating for several days. Regularly comb the hair to check they have gone. Make sure you use a metel teeth comb not a plastic one as they are much better!

An electrically charged comb can be used to catch and kill the lice you can get them in Boots and Superdrug.

Pesticide shampoo can be used but make sure you don't constantly use the same ones as your hair can build up resistance to them!

A treatment called dimethicone has become available, which physically covers and smothers the lice. We recently had to use it on the ward on a patient.

It's important to understand their life cycle so that you continue treatment for the right length of time. You may need to repeat treatments after 7-10 days – the time taken for the eggs to hatch- as the eggs are more resistant to treatments. If you are meticulous with treatment, there is a high chance of getting rid of the infestation.