Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What would you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically i was about to get the sack today because of a unrelated joke and had nothing to do with the company/persons involved, i saved them the business and left.

When reading the newspaper it said "have u been sacked via..." in which i just have, i contacted them and they are wanting to interview me/name me/photo me etc and hopefully put me in the good light - i dont mind that but it could cost me a future career? do companys want people like me to work for them for going to the press?

I just want to tell people MY story of what happened/how bad this company is...

any ideas

Comments

• Options
    Unless they are going to pay you a shit load of money, then dont do it.

You could just shoot yourself in the foot.

Think about it.... would you employee the guy who goes running to the newspapers?
  • Options
    Whilst it's going to be really difficult to discuss the specifics I think there's a few things to consider -

* Getting your side of the story out there can be really rewarding and challenge bad work practices

* However there are better ways to challenge problems with a job, sacking or resignation - and doing this may exclude you from those options

* make sure the newspaper are careful to support you and provide you proper advice on the situation and what they are planning. Do the best you can to be confident about how your story will be reported.

* Can you be presented anonymously - this would avoid future problems, as long as you aren't saying anything incorrect

* I think you really do need to consider the short term benefit of getting the truth out against possible future problems. Employers may google an applicant and end up seeing the story - that may not be a problem in itself, but you'll need to be aware of having to spend a lot of time explaining it.

Just a few thoughts to get things started though, it's obviously really difficult to judge.

For everyone though - please don't ask for details of the company or too much specific information - libel cases can be expensive and damaging :)