Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Farewell note!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First off, I realise that not many of you will know me, much less care, but after spending nearly 8 years of my life as a member of this site, yesterday I hit a fairly major milestone which I view as an ideal opportunity to close the door on what has been a relatively consistent part of my life since I was 18: thesite.org.

This milestone was me passing my PhD viva, so I am now Dr King of Glasgow :)

Over the last six months, a great deal has happened in my life: my long-term girlfriend and I broke up (I thought we were gonna get married etc), I submitted my PhD, I moved city, I got a job, I was diagnosed with 'pure O' OCD, and I most likely flirted with a bad bout of depression.

And through all of this, thesite.org gave me a welcome distraction from the monotony and tedium (and occasional highs!) of PhD life, and I saw that other people were going through hard times, good times, or great times. They were living their lives, and that made me feel like as hard as things were, I could keep on going.

What makes thesite.org so unique and special is its community. Members might come and go (and in my 8 years of reading these boards, I've seen a fair few go, some in rather dramatic fashion!), but regardless, this site is a constant source of support, advice, and guidance, as well as being a wonderful way for people to pass the time.

Special mention must go out to JimV and the rest of thesite.org staffers. I reckon that they should get a knighthood and a cottage out in the countryside for when they retire. Their dedication to maintaining the high quality of this site is only matched by their dedication to making sure that this is a place people can feel safe to come with any sort of question, issue, or problem.

While I might keep reading the various posts on here, I won't be posting anymore (not that I did very much anyway! 3500 posts over 8 years??!).

So without further ado, I'll say adieu, farewell, and may I wish all of you who read this the very very best in all your endeavours. Take care.

Dr KoG out.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.' Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Good luck, that doctor! :)

Have an excellent life :wave:
  • Options
    All the best Doctor :)
  • Options
    All the best bud.
  • Options
    Good luck, and have fun!

thanks again for helping me do my coursework at the 11th hour in my 2nd year of uni :)
  • Options
    Well done on how far you have come, good luck with it all.
  • Options
    Firstly, congratulations - especially if you got away without amendments - that makes 2 of us thesite.org Drs now! And good luck in your job hunt if you haven't got a position already. it's a long, tough slog, but you've got over the first hurdle - now to further polish that publications record!

Take care Dr King of Glasgow

Love Dr Meryn ;)
  • Options
    Good Luck and Goodbye !! Take Care :)
  • Options
    Congrats mate!
  • Options
    Congratulations,
    but after 9 years here and after seeing so many of these farewell posts, including my own I think we can safely say, you'll be back.

See you in a bit;)
  • Options
    Bye xx
  • Options
    Good luck duck :)
  • Options
    See ya later mate have a good life. :thumb:
  • Options