Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Kid Rock Calls Twitter “Gay”

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
thoughts on celebrities using anti-LGBT language?
http://glaadblog.org/2009/07/29/kid-rock-calls-twitter-gay-in-latest-issue-of-rolling-stone/
Kid Rock Calls Twitter “Gay” in Latest Issue of Rolling Stone

In the latest issue of Rolling Stone, rap-rocker Kid Rock let out his true feelings about social networking site Twitter, calling it “gay.”

“It’s gay. If one more person asks me if I have a Twitter, I’m going to tell them, ‘Twitter this s***, motherf***er, I don’t have anything to say, and what I have to say is not that relevant. Anything that is relevant, I’m going to bottle it up and then squeeze it onto a record somewhere.”

After GLAAD was alerted to Kid Rock’s comments, GLAAD’s Senior Director of Media Programs, Rashad Robinson, released the following statement:

“Such a misuse of the word ‘gay’ sends a message that these kinds of words can be used to insult our community. It reinforces what so many young people experience in their schools everyday, where a word that describes who they are is used to denigrate. We see today that media recognize the disrespectful nature of using this word as a pejorative and we hope Kid Rock will take this opportunity to clarify his word choice and educate his fans on the harms of such uses.”

Comments

• Options
    "[...]we hope Kid Rock will take this opportunity to clarify his word choice and educate his fans on the harms of such uses.”

love it.

So he's a rock star and not a very clever one. case closed.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    So he's a rock star and not a very clever one

Or a very good one.
  • Options
    Why would you call yourself Kid Rock. That's so gay.
  • Options
    Oh noes.
  • Options
    Me suspects he meant "gay" in the sense that Eric Cartman from South Park would use the word - effectively an euphenism for lame.

Which Twitter essentially is. But that probably won't stop me signing up for it when I start on a forthcoming internet project.
  • Options
    He's not really being anti - LGBT though is he...
  • Options
    He's not really being anti - LGBT though is he...

Well, that's the problem... he is. Even using anti-LGBT language enables discrimination and bullying.

Check the stats:
    • 86.2% of LGBT students reported being verbally harassed, 44.1% reported being physically harassed and 22.1% reported being physically assaulted at school in the past year because of their sexual orientation.
    • 73.6% heard derogatory remarks such as "faggot" or "dyke" frequently or often at school.
    • More than half (60.8%) of students reported that they felt unsafe in school because of their sexual orientation, and more than a third (38.4%) felt unsafe because of their gender expression.
    • 31.7% of LGBT students missed a class and 32.7% missed a day of school in the past month because of feeling unsafe, compared to only 5.5% and 4.5%, respectively, of a national sample of secondary school students.
    • The reported grade point average of students who were more frequently harassed because of their sexual orientation or gender expression was almost half a grade lower than for students who were less often harassed (2.8 versus 2.4).

Believe it or not, using these words matters.
  • Options
    I'm more concerned that ANYONE cares about anything that comes out of Kid Rocks mouth.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Right or wrong, your fighting a battle you are going to lose - words can evolve so quickly. Don't forget that the words, gay, queer, and faggot had meanings long before they were being used to refer to homosexuals. If somethings a bit weird or strange and I describe it as queer is that offensive?

It's not something you are going to be able to stop - you can't a have a monoploy on a word.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I just think that, cos alot of his fans are children (I.E 11/12 year olds) he should watch what he says!!! Using gay for "bad" is just immature x
    C-A x
  • Options
    The word gay originally means happy. Words evolve- gay can mean homosexual man, or it can mean rubbish.

That's etymology for you.

Twitter is gay, btw.
  • Options
    I just think that, cos alot of his fans are children (I.E 11/12 year olds) he should watch what he says!!! Using gay for "bad" is just immature x
    C-A x

he has fans? :p. But a lot of kids these days use the word anyway, and probably a lot more than he does.
  • Options
    To be honest it does seem to be a bit beating around the bush to go after Kid Rock.

If the campaign is aimed at stopping the word gay from being used as an insult - whatever personal feelings are on that issue - then shouldn't the focus be on South Park?

That's surely the fundamental media influence that uses it that way the most, though I'm sure Parker and Stone have a pretty rigorous defence for why they should be free to do so.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be honest it does seem to be a bit beating around the bush to go after Kid Rock.

If the campaign is aimed at stopping the word gay from being used as an insult - whatever personal feelings are on that issue - then shouldn't the focus be on South Park?
    Mmm... not really IMO. SP is a satirical comedy series. They're no more homophobic for using the word gay in that manner than they are anti-semite for having Cartman calling Kyle "fucking Jew" all the time. Yes, the insult itself is very much anti-semite, but one has to view it within the context of the medium in which it appears.
  • Options
    I tend to use "gay" as weird instead of bad. I had a mate who lost £50 in a fruit machine in one sitting back in 2002 and I said "what you did was so gay" (as in what you did on that fruit machine was weird).
  • Options
    GLSENecho wrote: »
    Well, that's the problem... he is. Even using anti-LGBT language enables discrimination and bullying.

Check the stats:
    • 86.2% of LGBT students reported being verbally harassed, 44.1% reported being physically harassed and 22.1% reported being physically assaulted at school in the past year because of their sexual orientation.
    • 73.6% heard derogatory remarks such as "faggot" or "dyke" frequently or often at school.
    • More than half (60.8%) of students reported that they felt unsafe in school because of their sexual orientation, and more than a third (38.4%) felt unsafe because of their gender expression.
    • 31.7% of LGBT students missed a class and 32.7% missed a day of school in the past month because of feeling unsafe, compared to only 5.5% and 4.5%, respectively, of a national sample of secondary school students.
    • The reported grade point average of students who were more frequently harassed because of their sexual orientation or gender expression was almost half a grade lower than for students who were less often harassed (2.8 versus 2.4).

Believe it or not, using these words matters.

yeah but he is not directing his comment at these people. He is not saying anything bad against anyone in the LGBT community. He is using the word gay in a completely different context and therefore means a completely different thing.
  • Options
    Much like the inhabitants of the greek island Lesbos, where the inhabitants are often referred to in local tongue as Lesbians.

Now how do you suppose the Islands inhabitants feel about all (what they perceive to be) the negative connotations of people assuming they are homosexual.

Not that I have said that there is anything wrong with homosexuals, just that many female homosexuals refer to themselves are lesbians?

How is this any different to Kid Rock using a word which for all intents and purposes has evolved into meaning something other than homosexual, much as it was before the homosexual community adopted it as their own.

Languages change and evolve, unfortunate for those aforementioned Islanders, and unfortunate for the homosexual community that they believe they have been offended, when infact no intent was present.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The word gay originally means happy. Words evolve- gay can mean homosexual man, or it can mean rubbish.

That's etymology for you.

Twitter is gay, btw.

OK, I really, really, really hate people using 'gay' as a synonym for rubbish. It does sent out horrid messages, it does subconsciously associate gay with all things bad in the minds of children, etc. But even I am getting a bit bored of every individual celebrity doing it getting free press. Yes, they use lazy language without thought for others. Yes, they are stupid.

When broadcasters do it, a slap on the wrist is reasonable, but he's just another musician trying to be controversial. Don't give him the time of day.

Incidentally, my Twitter feed is particularly gay :thumb:
  • Options
    Completely off-topic, but interesting. Everyone assumes that the ancient Greeks used the word "lesbian" as slang for women who have sex with women, as we do, because of Sappho. Actually the writing suggests that the women of lesbos had a reputation for giving good blow jobs.

Funny how it happens.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Completely off-topic, but interesting. Everyone assumes that the ancient Greeks used the word "lesbian" as slang for women who have sex with women, as we do, because of Sappho. Actually the writing suggests that the women of lesbos had a reputation for giving good blow jobs.

Funny how it happens.

Apart from, one assumes, Sappho... ;)
  • Options
    He's a bit of a moron but it's clearly not a homophobic comment. If Twitter was an exclusive site for homosexual people to 'tweet' and he said that then obviously it would have been offensive however it's not so I think people shouldn't be so over-sensitive.
  • Options
    I use the word gay, its like what you say for rubbish. But seriously like anyone cares what Kid Rock has to say. What a stupid name aswell.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    OK, I really, really, really hate people using 'gay' as a synonym for rubbish.

I hate it because it's linguistically lazy, but I think we have to accept that people aren't generally using it to be disparaging against gay men. Insults evolve away from their original meanings, just as the word gay has evolved from it's original meaning.

People don't use words like twat or cock literally and I don't think people use gay as an insult in a disparaging way.

As for kids bullying, they mercilessly pick on any differences, whether you're fat, skinny, ginger, gay, whatever. Getting Chris Moyles to stop calling things gay won't change this.

Incidentally, Chris Moyles is an excellent example of what I'm saying: when I insult him, I'm not saying he's a vagina.
  • Options
    See... South park is funny. I love south park, it's not real life, you can't go to imagination land... you know?? South park isn't real, it's fiction. But when you can't diffrentiate between a cartoon and a real person then you have issues! South park has a point, it just takes the piss out of things that nobody else is brave enough to take the piss out of.. But when people are unable to tell the diffrence from funny and stupid then they need help!
    C-A xx
  • Options
    I agree with piccolo, I used to use this in my vocabulary and would cite the usual defence 'I know what *I* mea, its other peoples problem if they see it any other way' but hell, if I can change the words to use so that people won't be offended, or upset, or even intimidated, then I'm going to do that.

So I call bullshit on everyone who says it's the LGBT communities fault for getting their knickers in a twist, that's just a way of diverting responsibility from the people who actually say it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Me suspects he meant "gay" in the sense that Eric Cartman from South Park would use the word - effectively an euphenism for lame.

Which Twitter essentially is. But that probably won't stop me signing up for it when I start on a forthcoming internet project.

I would go to agree that is the actuall context he is usinbg it in not in everyone who uses it is gay.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I love it whenever anyone starts saying we should go after South Park. The show is dedicated to what was once termed "equal opportunities offence" - in other words, they will have a go at absolutely everyone. If they started saying they won't use the word "gay" because it apparently offends homosexuals, they're going to have countless other groups demanding that certain words or actions are removed on the most fatuous of grounds.

Jim - your comment is, in the words of Eric Cartman, "totally lame, dude". :p
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong - I don't think they should go after South Park - but seems more than a little lame to go after a nobody rocker when you've got a massive award winning show that's hugely popular amongst pre-teens doing the same thing :)

The classic thing was the school that banned the use of the word gay as an insult and suddenly all the children started to call each other 'jews' - it's obvious where that language was from, it's just whether it's a problem that's the central question.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    So I call bullshit on everyone who says it's the LGBT communities fault for getting their knickers in a twist, that's just a way of diverting responsibility from the people who actually say it.

I can see why they don't like it, but I'm afraid it's something they'll have to come to terms with. When it's used as a term for rubbish it's not intentionally offensive, and it's something that is only going to get more common.

Same with flid, mong, spastic, jew etc etc

It's just engish slang and the way language works.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Who really cares?

People who get uptight about this kind of stuff are generally just too short-sighted to notice their own flaws and ignorance.

You can knock on the guy for some un-PC comment, sure. But has every word you've ever spoken been suitable for reporting?