Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What are your top 3 must-have music CDs for 2009 thus far?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I always like looking out for new artists that are not necessarily commercial run-of-the-mill types by finding them on YouTube or MySpace etc. I am not sure if 2009 has had that many great releases but what do you think? Have you found anything from this year that will be in your collection for continued enjoyment in the future?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Mods, do I win a prize for starting what is obviously the singularly most read but yet unanswered topic in TheSite history? :lol:

I knew I should have slipped in some 'cocks', 'tits' and 'assholes' in there somewhere .... :impissed:
  • Options
    I really like Ladyhawke's album, but that's quite a commercial release I suppose...also really like Fat Freddy's Drop's new album and Minuit, both from New Zealand and both worth a listen :thumb: Can't wait for the new Shapeshifter album either but that's not due until October (that's Shapeshifter rather than Shapeshifters, they're from NZ too).
  • Options
    Yay! A reply! Woo! Thanks! *hugs*

Oh I have Ladyhawke .... some good songs on there.

I'll check out the other two on YouTube now. :)
  • Options
    Haha no worries! Let me know what you think. I bought Golden Silvers' album too but think they're better live than on record...I'm also planning to buy And So I Watch You From Afar's album, Clutch's new one and I can recommend The Anomalies too after seeing them in Cardiff Barfly a while back, think their EP is available to buy commercially (I bought it off them at the gig). All pretty varied but good stuff.

That should keep you going! :)
  • Options
    White Lies - To Lose My Life
    Florence & The Machine - Lungs
    The Maccabees - Wall Of Arms
  • Options
    I'm gonna go with

Black Eyed Peas - THE E.N.D
    Florence + the machine - lungs
    and... La Roux - La Roux
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Haha no worries! Let me know what you think. I bought Golden Silvers' album too but think they're better live than on record...I'm also planning to buy And So I Watch You From Afar's album, Clutch's new one and I can recommend The Anomalies too after seeing them in Cardiff Barfly a while back, think their EP is available to buy commercially (I bought it off them at the gig). All pretty varied but good stuff.

That should keep you going! :)

Wow! They certainly have! Thank you! Your taste is defo not what I would consider run-of-the-mill commercial! 'Yay' for YouTube! :)
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    White Lies - To Lose My Life
    Florence & The Machine - Lungs
    The Maccabees - Wall Of Arms

I have the White Lies album but it hasn't grabbed me like the reviews indicated it might. It's kinda depressing. :(

Yay! I have Lungs ...

.. but I need to check out The Maccabees a bit closer.

Thanks! :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm gonna go with

Black Eyed Peas - THE E.N.D
    Florence + the machine - lungs
    and... La Roux - La Roux

Got them all! Thanks! :thumb:
  • Options
    Okay .. I am not sure these are 'must haves' but I found these :

'The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart' - I thought they were a really good, undiscovered US Indie ban - although the vocals are not particularly strong over the music. But good tunes.

'Wolfgang Amadeus Pheonix' by Pheonix. I think they're a really good band considering they're French! Oo la la!

Okay .. this one is a little weird but its by Neil Hannon from Divine Comedy and all the songs are based loosely around cricket! Yes, that's right. Cricket. The sport - not the insect! :p It's 'The Duckworth Lewis Method' .. and its very quirky. I've always had an interest in Neil Hannon's stuff 'cos his brother used to work where I work ... but it's a really weirdly, wonderful album. :)
  • Options
    I quite like Bon Iver - for Emma, Forever Ago
    and Deadmau5 is good, I think his album is called random album title. But I haven't heard all of it.
  • Options
    and Deadmau5 is good, I think his album is called random album title. But I haven't heard all of it.

Woaaah! OMG! Some awesome beats on that!!! I loooooooove it!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :heart::love::heart:
  • Options
    i've just noticed "Ghosts & stuff" isn't on that album. shame

also Franz Ferdinands album is good
  • Options
    i've just noticed "Ghosts & stuff" isn't on that album. shame

I found a compilation with that number on - and 'Fax to Berlin'. Good chunes! :)