Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Sims 3!

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Have anyone bought this yet?

As I was a fan of the original Sims in 2001 (and became horrendously addicted), I jumped onto the TS3 bandwagon yesterday. I also bought TS2 in 2004, but even though I had a computer that was up to the spec, I just couldn't get into it. TS3 is really just a bit more of the same but I think that EA have done a good job at perfecting the game for TS3. If you know how the short-term stats work out in the original TS1 (energy, fun, bladder etc), then it's exactly the same in TS3. In TS3 (and TS2), the characters were given long-term aspirations which lets you reward them if they fulfill a task that may take more than a day to complete it.

Controls are exactly the same as in TS2 - 1 2 3 4 for speed, p for pause, arrows, W A S D (normal gaming keys) for camera pan and TAB for camera mode. Interaction between characters is the usual mouse clicks.

The wardrobe is pretty sizely, a lot more choice of clothes than in the previous games. Lots of character sizes via a sliding bar from ultra-thin to ultra-fat (where before you only had 3 sizes). Another sliding bar for skin colour (where before it was only 5 skin choices). The only drawback so far is having only about 8 hairstyles to choose from. If someone can point me to a fan download site, that would be great - as there used to be loads for TS1, not so many for TS2.

Building a house is more or less the same but like with extra parameters for your characters, there are extra parameters for your house too. Drawing a floor is like drawing a box to highlight icons on your Windows desktop. For walls, pressing SHIFT while selecting a wall will paint/tile the whole wall. This carries on from TS1.

A big let-down in TS2 was the in-game music. Thankfully EA have picked up on that and improved it in TS3, although I still think that TS1 had the best music, especially the Latin.

Also new in TS3 - you can see inside the school that your kid attends, the workplaces that the parents attend and other landmarks such as the grocery shop. They actually have to go to these places as if it's a strategy game such as Age of Empires or Warcraft (or even World of Warcraft!)

But yeah, good show EA *thumbs up*
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i've got this on my iphone. its ok i guess but a bit repetitive. i'm sure its better on the pc.
  • Options
    I havent bought it, but got it, s'ok name :)
  • Options
    i must say i love the sims 3. i can play it for ages!
  • Options
    The Sims 3 is apparently unrealistic because when you wall up a toddler in a tiny room social services take him away.

I have some weird and sadistic friends it seems :chin:
  • Options
    Awww, poor toddler.

The naughtist thing I've done (back in Sims 1) was getting one of the female sims to do two-timing. I imagine that you can still do it in Sims 2 and 3 but I'm currently concentrating on getting my two adult sims up the career ladder.

My only gripe / unrealism in TS3 so far is that my child sim (after about 8 "sim" days) suddenly grew up into an adolescent. I would have preferred a longer cooldown period like 80 sim days, then to experience life as a teenager and then grow into an adolescent.
  • Options
    You can change how quickly (if at all) the sim grows up in the settings. I don't know if it lengthens each age or just at the end, though.

I'm mad because I can't get it to let me plant the cheese or the steak or all of that. Grrr.
  • Options
    If you box a sim up in a room they die. mwahahaha!

i think most my sims have more than one relationship going on, :/

And have you noticed its easier to get them up the career ladder?
    i love the theiving option. The art gallery had nothing left in it time my sim went home.
  • Options
    Brill, thanks Simba. The default lifespan was 90 days, which I've now changed to 960 days (max). There was also a setting that stops ageing altogether. I think next time I roll a set of characters, I'll turn the ageing off.
  • Options
    I bought sims 3 the other day, and i was SO dissapointed. I used to be addicted to sims 2 so when i heard sims 3 was out, i was so excited. But i thought the graphics where rubbish when you zoomed in, and tbh, i dont think its any different to sims 2. Im going to sell it.
  • Options
    I'm surprised m-m-Louise. It was number 2 that I couldn't get into but number 3 has taken over me like there's no tomorrow! Same with number 1.
  • Options
    There needs to be more cheats, i only have one!
  • Options
    My attitude to using cheats - I think they're fine to use on a game that you've already completed (or excelled in Sims case), but for a game that has just come out, I think it spoils it. By all means, try it the hard way for 2 weeks and if it's so difficult that your characters can't reach stage 2 in their career paths, then punch in the cheat codes. The reason why money is so tight at the beginning of the Sims games is because that's what money is like in real life for young adults who have just bought a house.
  • Options
    I have had the game since it came out, and i have sims that were young adults and are now old and on their last legs. I usually have a game i play the 'proper way' and one i just muck about on.
  • Options
    Talking of mucking around, does anyone the chemistry lab back in Sims 1? That was ace! I've not played the new game enough to know if EA have brought the chemisty lab back into it?
  • Options
    The chemistry lab was good. I also loved the makin magic add on and always wished they did that for the others!

I agree that I was dissapointed with the sims 3. I think mainly because you get used to playing with all the expansions and then it's like going back to basics. I'm still addicted though :p
  • Options
    Expansion-wise, I only got the first 2 for the original game - they were called "Livin' It Up" and "House Party". I didn't bother with anything for Sims 2 - just couldn't get into it. However, for Sims 3, I noticed that you can already "throw a party" which was a feature that was only available in the "House Party" expansion of the orignal game. So even if it has gone back to basics, there are elements of old expansions built in. I haven't checked whether you can turn your living room into a disco yet (lights, checkerboard floor, PAs, turntables etc)... need to check the game more throughly.
  • Options
    Mine has decided not to work and keep coming up with "disk authentication error" GRRR it worked fine yesterday!
  • Options
    Omg, you can get Lilo, Nani and David from the Sims Exchange. How freakin' awesome is that?!
  • Options
    I was skimming thru the latest updates...

"Become Enemies with Child" wish no longer appears.

Lol, did somebody get offended and complain :crying: :p
    Thats a hilarous wish!
  • Options
    Bugger, I had one of my Sims attempt to repair a stereo and she died through electrocution. Despite that, her 'handiness' skill level was 5/10 (which is quite high). Looks like EA have either upped the difficulty in some respect or it was a pot-luck incidence. In Sims 1, I've never killed a Sim. Luckily, I had a save-point that was about an hour (a real life hour, not game hour) before the death, so I've just lost an hour's gametime.

Friggin' addictive game though. £32 well spent.